Need help picking a new DAP (specifics enclosed!)
Apr 23, 2008 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cps

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I've been making the switch away from iTunes/Ipods for the last few weeks. I've converted my entire music collection over to FLAC and I'm using Winamp / Foobar 2K as players right now.

So to finalize my transition, I need a new DAP. My critera are as follows:

- High quality sound (That's what we're here for, right?)
- FLAC compatibility
- 8GB or 16GB flash based
- Small size like a Nano 1G or 2G
- Ability to sync with Winamp
- Nice color display

Rockboxed suggestions are OK. But I'd like some native ones too.

I've considered the Cowon D2, but it's a bit big for what I need it for. The U5 is the size that I'm really going for. Too bad the US firmware doesn't play FLAC.

Any ideas?

Apr 23, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 5
Great suggestion! I'm not sure why I overlooked this before but it meets all of my requirements.

This will be my default unless someone suggests something else. Anything else out there worth looking at that meets all of my requirements?

Apr 23, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 5
Sony NWZ-A829 - 16GB, much better display, Bluetooth, warmer sound, better battery life, slimmer, but no FLAC support - only WAV and pricier than the alternatives. Has the best bundled earphones of all DAPs. Drives low-impedance cans(IEMs, supraaurals) extremely well.

Cowon D2(8GB) - powerful amp, but doesn't drive low-impedance cans very well - has bass roll-off. Thats a problem of iAudio 7 as well. Cowon D2 may be awkward to use in real-life situations, because it doesn't have hardware buttons for all the basic things - you'll have to use the touchscreen instead. Btw, you may experience this to a lower extent with iAudio 7 too - it has touch-sensitive buttons which may be very tricky sometimes. A good thing is that they're a little bit recessed below the surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back