Need help picking a headphone amp around the $500 price range
Dec 25, 2015 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

LBailey33

New Head-Fier
Background:
Alright, I'm stuck deciding on an amp to power the multiple headphones I own. Currently I own HD650's, DT990 pros, Fidelio X2's, and THX00's. I also am using a Schiit Modi that I am perfectly happy with, as I have not encountered any USB or background noise and do not have the need for any additional inputs or outputs. My current amps are the Magni and the Little Dot 1+ with Voshkod 6ZH1P tubes. Nothing I currently own sounds particularly good with my HD650's, at least in my opinion. The Little Dot leaves them sounding slow and veiled while the Magni leaves them sounding dull and constrained. Due to the varying impedance of each of these headphones, I cannot get an OTL tube amp as I would not be able to drive my X2's and X00's well. Also, I plan on eventually buying some planar headphones and this influences my current amp buying decision because I want my current amp to be able to power my future purchases.

Amp Selection/Rationale:
So I am primarily interested in tube hybrid amps, such as the Lyr 2 and the Ember II, or in solid state amps, like the Gustard H10, Violectric HPA V90, Schiit Asgard 2, of the Burson Audio Soloist SL. Tube rolling intrigues me, as I currently own the Little Dot 1+ and had an enjoyable experience rolling tubes to get a different sound. However, tube rolling on the Lyr 2 and Ember II is a bit intimidating because of the vast number of options and the high price of many of the best tube options for the two amps. I always want my gear to be performing at it's optimal level and knowing that I would need to spend $200 or $300 on tubes to reach that level with the Lyr and Ember is a bit off-putting. The solid state amps listed interest me mainly because of their ability to power my current headphones as well as any other future headphones I may buy. However, I am not sure which solid state amp would best fit my situation as finding information on the Violectric HPA V90 has been difficult and the Asgard 2 has been described as an extremely warm solid state amp which is somewhat unsettling because I expect neutrality in a solid state amp. The Burson is interesting, however I have read conflicting reviews saying that it is warm but also saying it is somewhat bright so I am unsure what to think of this amp. Finally, the Gustard H10 has piqued my interest because of the massive following it has on these forums and the price is considerably lower than the other options besides the Asgard 2. 

Conclusions:
Any suggestions and opinions you all have concerning the amp I should buy, either from my list or any other options, will be greatly appreciated. I am open to any and all suggestions, please don't let my listed options pigeon-hole you and you ideas. Thank you for any and all recommendations! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back