need help picking a built-it-yourself amp
Mar 12, 2009 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Ratzilla

Head-Fier
I'm pretty new to "audiophile audio". I've never used an amp before but I figure it would be a pretty good idea to get one and see for myself if it makes a difference and how much of a difference it would make.

I guess my problem is that I have absolutely no idea where to start. I want something portable for sure. I am pretty competent when it comes to building electronics. I have designed PCBs and have a good amount of practice soldering, troubleshooting and building circuits. I don't forsee there to be much of a problem in terms of complexity for building an amp.

However, I just don't know what I should look at. Where can I find some possible amps? I know the first question to ask if "How much am I willing to spend". I honestly don't know. If someone can give me a few suggestions at different price points, that would be great, then I can go read up on them.

Any help would be appreciated!

Mar 12, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 17
Mar 12, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 17
He said portable, so i most cases, tubes will be out of the question. OP, the most basic/standard/first diy amp would probably be the cMoy. There are many documented threads/videos/walkthroughs on this amp. another to consider would be the mini3. There is a kit that comes will ALL the parts needed but i really dont find that fun if you are going to do a diy anyways.

On the first page of the diy section there are several different types of diy amps, you should go check them out.

GL

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratzilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want something portable for sure.

The key requirement. It limits your options. You should decide if it needs to be truly portable (battery operated) or transportable (small enough to move around easily).

Depending on your cans & source device the effect of onboard headphone amplification vs lineout + headamp can differ. You should find some threads around here w/peoples opinions.

pabbi1 gave good references for places to start. Many designs have "main" threads here or over @ headwize.

Good luck!

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 17
My question would be whether you mean portable or transportable? Portable, as others have said, limits your options severely, but there are good number of smallish amps that you can move around pretty much hassle free.

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 17
When I mean portable, i guess i mean transportable. Ideally, it should run from battery or a cord. I just want it to be small enough to bring to places and use it and use it when i'm on the go.

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 17
Yep, my reading comprehension skills are suspect... very few options, but the mini³ at amb is quite an able performer, and any flavor of cMoy.

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 17
Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction. So far, I've looked at the mini3, millet hybrid minimax and the pimeta. I was just wondering why they don't use Lithium ion batteries? For example, the mini3 uses 9V NiMH. Wouldn't Li-Ion give much better battery life?

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

I was just wondering why they don't use Lithium ion batteries? For example, the mini3 uses 9V NiMH. Wouldn't Li-Ion give much better battery life?

apparently Li-Ion batteries require very careful monitoring & control over charging voltages & currents, and it's just too likely that someone mess something up & end up getting splattered with hot battery innards....not good obviously

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #13 of 17
In the last few months I've built a CMoyBB, mini3, millett minimax, and a beta22 (and a gamma1 as well.) If I were to do it again and already had your soldering experience, I probably would build the mini3 first. Then, if you wanted to explore tubes, build the minimax. As you can see, this hobby can be addicting, so be prepared to get sucked into project after project. That's why I built the B22. I figure I might as well go big and be done vs. building a Bijou, and then a CK3M, and then a M3, etc. before settling on the B22 ultimately.

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #14 of 17
I think I will try a mini3. My only question is why do I never see surface mount components used? I have always found surface mount components to be less expensive for the same accuracy. I'm curious, not criticizing, let me know!

Mar 21, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

I think I will try a mini3. My only question is why do I never see surface mount components used? I have always found surface mount components to be less expensive for the same accuracy. I'm curious, not criticizing, let me know!

Two main reasons: they require more soldering skill than through-hole and you can't readily substitute boutique components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back