Need help: Over ear headphones for movies/music that do not require an amp.
Dec 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Niels Meijer

Head-Fier
Greetings,

As the title says I am looking for some over ear headphones that do not require amplifieng. I've just sold my sennheiser HD 650, I loved the sound of those cans but I am not using it as much as I should simply because I move around the house a lot and I would like being able to use headphones plugged directly into my Ipad or laptop and the HD650 is clearly not designed for that. I will use it for movies a lot, I will also use it for music and a bit of gaming(purely recreational). I was looking at buying sennheiser momentums (over ear) as they get positive reviews and do not require an amp. But before I buy anything I would like some suggestions. Your help is very much appreciated. 

Kind regards,

Niels 

edit: Bought momentums but I am looking to return them as they are not comfortable enough for me. 

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 11
Okay, So I bought a pair of sennheiser momentums and used them over the weekend. In short I like the sound, I don't like the comfort. The Earcups are really very small and will get uncomfortable after a while of use. I thought I had small ears but appearantly not small enough for a comfortable fit. I've contacted the seller and he says I might return them so I am probably going to do that. 

Anyone here with some good suggestions? I am still considering the HD 598 but I am not sure how these sound without an amp. I am very much attracted by the descriptions of the HD 598 I've read so far though. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 11
I just bought two JVC HA S500 headphones as a Christmas gift and reviews from those who received it are glorious. Great bass, design, comfortable, etc. I myself have bought Beyerdynamics Dtx501p and also is very happy. Both are very mobile and easily driven by iPhones.

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #5 of 11
I'd go with the 598's, or 558's. They're both relatively cheap, and if you foam mod the 558's, they sound pretty much exactly the same as the 598's. Neither of them really need an amp, and they have a nice open feeling. Best of luck!

~Christopher.

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #6 of 11
I am leaning towards the HD 598 very much. I actually have an amp but I can't be bothered to carry it around the house and charge it all the time. I am wondering if the HD 598 would be suitable for watching movies on my Ipad without an amp. 

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #7 of 11
Well, neither the 558's nor the 598's require an amp. However, if you want to bring them alive for things such as movies, go for it. So yeah, they're both easy to drive, so watching movies on your ipad wouldn't be an issue. I must say I like the build quality on the 598's a bit better than on the 558's, however, I'm not a huge fan of the colours. If you're just wearing them in your house they should be fine. You won't be disappointed whichever pair you buy. I'd still go for the 558's. They're cheaper, a bit less sharp, but have a lot fuller bass than the 598;s, so movies I think would sound better on them.  

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #11 of 11
They are definitely for home use only, I have pair of sennheiser IEM's that I use on the go. I like to travel light so I can't be bothered to carry around full size headphones. The headphones won't be for watching movies only, I will also listen to music on it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back