Need Help on what to get to drive the Sennheiser HD 650 from computer.
Sep 4, 2013 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

NoGood

Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'm about to purchase either a Sennheiser HD 600 or HD 650 but I don't understand what would be the best way to use them with my PC.

my motherboard is an ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP with the following audio feature: 7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec), Supports THX TruStudio

I have been using my HD 558 directly connected into the motherboard's audio jack.

If I were to upgrade to the HD 650, what else would I need? Like amp/dac?

I can't afford an expensive amp like the Burson HA-160D(read somewhere it pairs very well with the hd 650).

One of my friends recommended that I get the HD 650 + Little Dot Mk III combo.

Any help/feedback would be really appreciated. Thanks

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #2 of 13
I would go for the Asus Xonar Essence One if I were you. Costs around $400 if you look around. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #3 of 13
Asus is basically a dac. I would never use any asus device as an amp after my recent experiences with them. They are okay as a dac.

Do you want solid state or otherwise? Budget? Which dac?

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #4 of 13
I am getting quiet a nice sound out my 650's with the headphone amp in my Marantz NA7004 network player, it is also to my suprise not bad with my T1's and at the now reduced $399 (it was $800) considering what else it does I think its a bit of a steal at the price. Its well made and easy to connect to a pc or stream to via ethanet connection should not be hard to find one at a hifi store to demo.  The headphone output is 18 mW/32 Ω (variable maximum)  I did see/read some discussion that Marantz does not use opamps but their own HDAM SA2 module which allows a higher class-A bias current I don't know if this helps or not.   Any views on this are welcome.

A bit about it on head fi here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/670586/marantz-na7004-why-isnt-it-popular

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #7 of 13
Looking into the Xonar Essence One but cheapest I've found is found $525 used on ebay.

Also just wanted to mention that I'm looking for a home/desktop setup not portable.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #8 of 13
Asus essence one isn't portable. But it is primarily a dac. I wouldn't use it as an amp.

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #9 of 13
  Hello everyone,

I'm about to purchase either a Sennheiser HD 600 or HD 650 but I don't understand what would be the best way to use them with my PC.

my motherboard is an ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP with the following audio feature: 7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec), Supports THX TruStudio

I have been using my HD 558 directly connected into the motherboard's audio jack.

If I were to upgrade to the HD 650, what else would I need? Like amp/dac?

I can't afford an expensive amp like the Burson HA-160D(read somewhere it pairs very well with the hd 650).

One of my friends recommended that I get the HD 650 + Little Dot Mk III combo.

Any help/feedback would be really appreciated. Thanks

Heya,

Is it for simply listening to audio?
Or is this primarily for games?

If for gaming, look to a sound card, with line output that supports surround tech (maybe look at the SoundBlaser Zx).
If for just listening to audio in general, avoid a sound card, get a dedicated USB DAC & AMP (or combination).

Very best,

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #10 of 13
For gaming you may want a sound card with DSP features like virtual surround. For music just get a decent DAC+amp combo. Cheaper option would be Schiit Modi+Magni, or for $350 look into the Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11.

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #11 of 13
So I've been doing some more research and it seems that the M&M combo isn't as good as the Bottlehead crack, which is mentioned as the best amp for under $1k for the HD 650.

I've also found some recommendations on the little dot mk iii but I want to know how it would compare to the crack

My activities would be music, movies, tv shows and gaming. <===in that preference.

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #12 of 13
Well yes. The Crack is DIY though, so as long as you have good soldering skills you can make a relatively high end product for the price. If it were sold as a production version, it would cost a lot more than M&M.

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #13 of 13
  So I've been doing some more research and it seems that the M&M combo isn't as good as the Bottlehead crack, which is mentioned as the best amp for under $1k for the HD 650.
I've also found some recommendations on the Little Dot MKIII but I want to know how it would compare to the crack
My activities would be music, movies, TV shows and gaming. <===in that preference.

You could spend $170 on a used Xonar DX sound card and the Schiit Magni headphone amplifier and have a decent sounding setup, but your budget is $300-$350.

Get an external DAC with a S/PDIF optical input, it would allow you to still use the on-board audio features on your motherboard, a USB DAC bypasses the sound card (on-board audio), USB is fine if all your doing it 2-channel audio.

Aune X1 is an S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) & USB input,
PCM1793 DAC chip, headphone amplifier for $200 + shipping.
(never used it myself)

You could also post on this thread about what is recommend for driving the HD650.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-appreciation-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back