Need Help On Hook-Up Wires
Mar 2, 2010 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Seamaster

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, I need some help here. Can anyone recommend some 20~22 AWG soild core (not stranded) hook-up wire?

It needs to be: Musical, Warm, NOT bright, great vocal, great dynamic and have great density/body.

Thanks for any input and help!

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 10
just a personal opinion, i doubt you can hear the difference between 20 and 22 awg ( i know i can't). instead you should choose the awg which will fit your needs better. if you're looking for not bright, then i guess you're looking for copper wires?

or you can consider mundorf silver with gold cables. personally, i have not tried them yet, but i'm sure there's plenty of head-fiers who can provide you with their experiences.

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by xuan87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just a personal opinion, i doubt you can hear the difference between 20 and 22 awg ( i know i can't). instead you should choose the awg which will fit your needs better. if you're looking for not bright, then i guess you're looking for copper wires?

or you can consider mundorf silver with gold cables. personally, i have not tried them yet, but i'm sure there's plenty of head-fiers who can provide you with their experiences.

Last one I tried:
NEOTECH 20 awg Light Blue Solid-core UP-OCC Silver Wire, Teflon jacket
They sound wonderful, but little bright for my use.

I heard Mundorf is great, but it is still silver wire, which put big ? mark in my mind.

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #5 of 10
not all silver wires sound the same ( that goes for copper too) so there might be some silver wires out there that will be just bright enough for you. you have any budget constraint?

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by xuan87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not all silver wires sound the same ( that goes for copper too) so there might be some silver wires out there that will be just bright enough for you. you have any budget constraint?

Prefer not to break the bank. I need about 8 feet to do the job.

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #7 of 10
I have made several IC's with Mundorf 24awg solid core wire and they have never sounded bright to me.

Have you tried OCC copper? Neotech makes solid OCC copper that might do the trick for you. And I really don't think a gauge or two difference will make an audible difference. Only comes into play if you need the overhead for more current as I understand it.

Edit this place seems to have good prices, although I have never bought from them:http://www.liveacoustics.com.sg/upocc.htm

I think I saw a good selection at Takefiveaudio as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back