Need help on deiciding a good set of headphones for electronic music
Jul 4, 2009 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

shurr

New Head-Fier
Ok, i'll start by saying that i'm a noob when it comes to technical stuff with sound but i do enjoy high quality music with good equipment. i own a pair of shure se530s and they are great for portable use. this is my first time shopping for headphones so i dont know much about brands and specs. i've done some searching around the forums, but theres a lot of different opinions on many varieties of headphones. so i'll be a little more specific in what I'm looking for.

first of all i'm gonna to be using these headphones at home only with my computer, so they can be open phones as long as that style has an advantage in sound quality. they also have to comfortable enough for long listening sessions. i have a decent sound card on my computer so i want a headphone that is gonna bring out the maximum potential of the card but not exceed it, as i would have no use or the equipment for it. and the only music i listen to is trance(psytrance/goa), i dont care about any other genre. the acid notes have to be clear, crisp, and precise. the swishes and swoops have to feel like they are actually orbiting and surrounding your head. thats the type of quality i want from the headphones.

right now my budget is pretty open. i actually dont want any cheap ones under $200, but i dont want one thats overly expensive for professionals, just one that is the best for computer or home theater use. also considering a headphone amp so if you guys name a couple good ones.

SUGGESTIONS PLZ!

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 8
ok please someone help me. i've been reading around and people suggest the sa5000 are the best for trance music because of its detail. the sa5000 looks promising, but in Vertigo-1's review of it, he says they lack soundstage. i think having good soundstage is important because it does give you that feeling that you're wrapped in the music. which headphone has the best soundstage without sacraficing too much other things?

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 8
I LOVE my SR225i for electronic music, it's great, but sadly, they lack soundstage. I would consider the SR225i, but if you really need soundstage, check the AD700.

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony MDR-SA5000.

Ah, you beat me to it! Yeah the MDR-SA5000 is ultra fast and a good match for Electronica/Techno.

Jul 4, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #6 of 8
In my experience, SA5000 is excellent for electronica.

Ultrasone is another brand that is often highly recommended for this genre because they are supposed to be quick with great bass impact (I haven't had extended exposure to any myself, though).

Jul 4, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #8 of 8
Most of the time I listen to trance, Manuel le Saux, Sean Tyas, but also to psy like Astral Projection and John 'OO' Fleming. In my opinion nothing beats a high end iem like Westone es3x, but for full cans I would recommend the Sony mdr-sa5000. They are precise and FAST. However the bass is quality not quantity. So if you want overwhelming bass, these might not be the ones for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back