Need help on DAC AMP
Nov 21, 2014 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

LeDave

100+ Head-Fier
I am a noob to the audiophile world. I have a question about using a DAC AMP. My first amp ever is arriving today in the mail and I want to learn how to use it before it comes. - It's correct to turn off the volume on your iPhone and use the DAC AMP to control the volume right? Or do I have to turn on some volume on my iPhone and adjust the volume on the DAC AMP for maximum quality? Thanks.

EDIT: Also is there anything else I should know or might want to know when using the DAC AMP? Thanks!

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 6
  I am a noob to the audiophile world. I have a question about using a DAC AMP. My first amp ever is arriving today in the mail and I want to learn how to use it before it comes. - It's correct to turn off the volume on your iPhone and use the DAC AMP to control the volume right? Or do I have to turn on some volume on my iPhone and adjust the volume on the DAC AMP for maximum quality? Thanks.

EDIT: Also is there anything else I should know or might want to know when using the DAC AMP? Thanks!

Did you order an external DAC (DAC/Amp) what can connect to an iPhone?
Or dis you just order an amplifier (no DAC) for use with the iPhone?

Anyway with the volume turned all the way done on the external amplifier, you want to up the volume on the iPhone, somewhere around 75% or more.
Then slowly turn up the volume on the amplifier until you reach your desired volume level.

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #3 of 6

Did you order an external DAC (DAC/Amp) what can connect to an iPhone?
Or dis you just order an amplifier (no DAC) for use with the iPhone?

Anyway with the volume turned all the way done on the external amplifier, you want to up the volume on the iPhone, somewhere around 75% or more.
Then slowly turn up the volume on the amplifier until you reach your desired volume level.

Hi PurpleAngel, thanks a lot for the reply. I thought nobody would've answered. I bought a Sony PHA-1, so that's a DAC AMP that works with the iPhone. Also great! I'll follow that step of setting my iPhone at 75 percent volume then turn up the DAC AMP to my liking of loudness.

Nov 21, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 6
Ok, now I need some REAL help! when I turn on the PHA-1, the volume bar on my phone dissapears so I can't adjust it's volume to 75 percent on the iPhone alone. Instead it leaves all the volume control to the PHA-1's volume knob. How do I adjust the iPhone's volume while the PHA-1 is on?

Nov 21, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 6
  Ok, now I need some REAL help! when I turn on the PHA-1, the volume bar on my phone disappears so I can't adjust it's volume to 75 percent on the iPhone alone. Instead it leaves all the volume control to the PHA-1's volume knob. How do I adjust the iPhone's volume while the PHA-1 is on?

Maybe that's a design feature of the PHA-1?
I'm assuming with this setup you can easily get the volume loud?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back