need help on connecting home theatre system to PC
Sep 4, 2007 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

athenaesword

500+ Head-Fier
hi i'm trying to set up my LG LH-R5500SB home theatre system to work with my PC. issit possible? it's lying ard and i already have a system for the TV so since my speakers just died recently i thought i might give this a shot. what do i require, to connect the system to my PC and have it function?

thanks in advance for your advice!

Sep 5, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 6
Pretty simple really, just need to know one thing before I get into it for you.

What kind of sound card do you have on your computer? Is it a Creative Labs sound card? If so what model?

Sep 5, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 6
oh i figured out the cable i required. i'm using creative xtrememusic, but i took it out to let a friend try it with his computer. may i know why u're asking?

Sep 6, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 6
Ah good you figured it out. I was just asking to make sure I was going to give you the correct information. I was using at one time a mini plug to RCA-Y cable. Then found a Digital Mini plug to to full size RCA that Im using now. Also since you have an optical input on your mini theater you could actually buy a Optical to digital coax conversion "box" for lack of a better word for about 30 bucks on the web, then have a digital connection. Your sound card will support the mini digital plug option if you ever wish to utilize it.

Sep 6, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #5 of 6
hi thanks! i'm not too sure about the cables you're talking about though issit possible if you offered up a link? also, i might have to live without my sound card so issit still workable?

Sep 6, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 6
It's difficult to transfer sound from a computer without a sound card.
tongue.gif

Does your computer's onboard sound have a S/PDIF output? It will look like a female RCA plug on the back of your computer, probably with an orange ring on the inside.

Otherwise, the easiest solution with or without the sound card is to run a 1/8" stereo to two RCA Y-cable from the front-channel output to an input on your receiver. This is analog output from the card itself as opposed to digital output where the conversion to analog would take place within your receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back