Need help on closed headphones to replace my K501
Feb 15, 2003 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

attilais

New Head-Fier
My room is just near an express way, and there are trucks roaring even at 1 am (although I'm on storey 10:)

Currently I am using an AKG K-501 bought three months ago. I like it pretty much, except for a little lack of bass for symphony. But it's completely open...

I think I should change to a closed one. I need ur advice on these problems:
(1) Is closed headphones suit for long-time listening, say, 2 hours? Someone told me that they tend to make you uneasy.
(2) If I use a semi-open one such as DT880 at normal volume, will people sleeping 2 meters away be disturbed?
(3)The only closed headphones I know are Beyer DT831 and DT880 (semi). I need some recommendation on more brands and models. I only listen to classical, and mainly symphonies at this time. BTW, I like the sound of K501 pretty much.

Sincerely thanks!

Feb 15, 2003 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 17
I like the Beyer 831s very much. While the bottom end is not that extended, they are detailed. I also recommend the Audio Technica AT900's. They have a better bottom end than the Beyers, and are detailed without being overly bright. The only thing you may notice is that the midrange is a little recessed. Isolation is good on both.

For superior isolation and sound, have you considered the Etymotic 4S?

I've used all three phones for 1-2 hour sessions with no problem.

Feb 15, 2003 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 17
Thanks FCJ.
I won't consider earplugs, since they may be harmful to my ears, and I prefer to real headphones.
I have a DT331 on my computer, the sound is just fine. DT831 is in my list, and also DT880. Could someone give a description on DT880's sound leak? I don't want to disturb my roommate:)

Feb 15, 2003 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by attilais
Thanks FCJ.
I won't consider earplugs, since they may be harmful to my ears, and I prefer to real headphones.

I've been using the Etys for over eight years and have never had a problem.

Feb 15, 2003 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 17
Considering Etymotic make hearing aids, I don't think you're likely to damage your ears with the ER-4 unless you use them incorrectly
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2003 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 17
Sorry for the Etys. I just don't like something sticking into my ears:)
I have searched the forum, found that "DT880 is rather open, although it is semi-open design". Anyone has experience with this?

Feb 15, 2003 at 6:46 AM Post #7 of 17
attilais: As leakage seems to be one of your concerns, you can rule out open and semi-open designs. I'd recommend to try the Beyerdynamic DT831 and DT250/250 and maybe the new AKG K271S, if you can already find it. As closed brother to the semi-open K240S, which I prefer over the K501, the K271S could be very interesting...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Feb 15, 2003 at 10:51 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

My room is just near an express way, and there are trucks roaring even at 1 am (although I'm on storey 10:)

Currently I am using an AKG K-501 bought three months ago. I like it pretty much, except for a little lack of bass for symphony. But it's completely open...

I think I should change to a closed one. I need ur advice on these problems:
(1) Is closed headphones suit for long-time listening, say, 2 hours? Someone told me that they tend to make you uneasy.
(2) If I use a semi-open one such as DT880 at normal volume, will people sleeping 2 meters away be disturbed?
(3)The only closed headphones I know are Beyer DT831 and DT880 (semi). I need some recommendation on more brands and models. I only listen to classical, and mainly symphonies at this time. BTW, I like the sound of K501 pretty much.

Sincerely thanks!

Buy some black tape and tape up the holes on the back of the AKG's.

Pinkie

Feb 15, 2003 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 17
I suspect the lower frequency sounds from the trucks will still leak through most circumaural sealed phones. I know from experience that the Ety's provide ULTIMATE isolation and superb sound. Why not try a pair for 30 days from HeadRoom?

Feb 15, 2003 at 2:07 PM Post #10 of 17
Why don't you just get a cheaper closed headphone like the Sony V6 then if you wanted more bass just change the stock pads for the Beyer 250 pads. V6 can be on the bright side of things though. Esp with the stock pads but I use the 120ohm adapter on the PCII so that cures it somewhat.

Feb 16, 2003 at 5:56 AM Post #11 of 17
Thanks for all the advice!

I have visited a shop yesterday and tried DT831 and DT880 directly in the headphone jack of a dvd player. 831 is tooooo shrill to me, and 880 is much better with moderate sound leakage. I don't know how things may change on a cd-p. DT770pro is closed, but not for trying.

Thanks lini. I prefer AKG, but 240s has made me disappointed, so I won't consider 270s. BTW, K1000 can be ordered here:)

To PinkFloyd: I have tried plugging up the holes of DT880, and the sound became dreary and blur immediately. Certainly this is not applicable.

I'll choose one from DT880 and DT770pro. Again, thanks for all of you.

Feb 16, 2003 at 7:57 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Thanks for all the advice!

I have visited a shop yesterday and tried DT831 and DT880 directly in the headphone jack of a dvd player. 831 is tooooo shrill to me, and 880 is much better with moderate sound leakage. I don't know how things may change on a cd-p. DT770pro is closed, but not for trying.

Sounds to me like you visited Hung Brothers in Singapore LOL. Sorry, there a store in Singapore that does sell headphones but generally don't let you try stuff.

I would have thought that the above mentioned phones would not sound to good out of a DVD headphone out jack. It's a generalization but most headphone jack out of CDP and DVDP/R suck. Marantz CD-6000 is okay and it's got variable output (digital though). As usual YMMV, IMHO etc.

Feb 16, 2003 at 10:21 AM Post #13 of 17
attilais: Well, it was worth a try. But I'm not quite sure: Did you listen to the K240S or the much older K240M? In case of the latter, I could understand that you were disappointed. And I wouldn't recommend to try the K270S (I've listened to that one years ago and didn't think that it was worth the price...), but the new K271 instead...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Feb 16, 2003 at 11:00 AM Post #14 of 17
To Rameish: yes, it is exactly Hung Brothers I have visited:) I failed finding any good beyers and senns in Adelphi, the other place I knew. I think the boss got impatient after I had tried 831 and 880 for half an hour, so I left. Anyway, I can't buy a headphone based on the performance on a dvd, whose thin and dry sound is extremely unfair to the dt831:)

To lini: I will give K271 a try next weekend, if I can find it. In fact, I prefer to the sound of akg. This afternoon I spent an hour in a friend's home using his HD600 and my K501 through a X-CAN V2 amplifier. I came to two conclusions: first, I need a HD600 only when listening to symphonies; second, I do not need a X-CAN V2 for 501, since it made little difference from the jack of my cd6000. However, there are difference on the bass in case of HD600.

Feb 25, 2003 at 2:54 PM Post #15 of 17
Atti,
I've got some beyers at home for me t6 audition on a loan from Beyer distributor in Singapore
biggrin.gif

These are for me to audition and I have an open invitation for others in the Singapore Headphone Fanatic forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back