Need help on buying headphones
May 2, 2009 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

winwin

100+ Head-Fier
I need help on choosing a pair of full sized headphones, I'm thinking either grado sr 60s or skullcandy hesh (now I know most of u, if not all of u guys here hate skullcandy but I've been getting recommendations on buying them). I want a pair of headphones that are not expensive and can be used when I go to school or travel.

A side question: If the grado sr 60s are good, should i get the sr60i or sr60? How much are they?
Are they available here in the Philippines?
Thanks...
normal_smile .gif

May 2, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 22
No help to you Win, but I am also in the same boat, looking at getting some headphones that I want to be portable enough to wear around campus (Dont care if they are big), but with better-than my current headphone sound (Cheap skullcandy headphones). So anyones help on this would be appreciated. I was looking at the SR60s as well. Thanks~

May 2, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #4 of 22
The SR-80s are worth the extra 20 bucks, and there are a lot of headphones out there that do a better job imo. It depends on what you listen to.... and that's a very important thing when you're on a forum with people talking about nuances within a studio session or an out of tune violinist or the mismatched beat in a trance set.

The SR80s are good for generic rock and alternative imo... if that's what you're going to listen to, that's what grados are some of the best at, but if you're wanting something for say classical or vocals...then some Audio-Techs may be better for the price range.... even some sony MDR-EX90s modded sound supreme for that price range... I'm sure others will give you a lot more suggestions though, but all in all, there's no reason to really get the 60s over the 80s.

May 2, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #5 of 22
So you want portable cans? Then open headphones probably aren't for you, unless you are prepared to get annoyed looks when you're in public.

The most popular portable closed cans are the Denon D1001k, Sennheiser HD25, Audio technica es7, esw9 and esw10, M-audio Q40, equation audio RP21 and AKG K518dj. I suggest do a search on those. I can vouch for the es7s, as they have served my portable requirements very well.

May 2, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #6 of 22
Grado = not ideal for portable cans, no isolation, leak sound, ugly, crappy cords, etc. If possible you should try to get the ES7 for a portable can, otherwise you should consider an IEM instead.

May 3, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tortus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No help to you Win, but I am also in the same boat, looking at getting some headphones that I want to be portable enough to wear around campus (Dont care if they are big), but with better-than my current headphone sound (Cheap skullcandy headphones). So anyones help on this would be appreciated. I was looking at the SR60s as well. Thanks~

What skullcandy model have u tried? Have u tried the hesh?

May 4, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #11 of 22
Yes, most open headphones should be used indoors for optimal listening. You COULD use them outside, but you would probably have to turn them up quite loud to hear your music properly and this will probably bother others. The Senn PX100s are meant to be portable headphones, however they are open-back as well, meaning that they will leak sound too.

What genres of music do you listen to? What is your budget? If your budget is around $90-$150, consider the es7 and D1001K. If it is less, look at the AKG K518dj

May 4, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, most open headphones should be used indoors for optimal listening. You COULD use them outside, but you would probably have to turn them up quite loud to hear your music properly and this will probably bother others. The Senn PX100s are meant to be portable headphones, however they are open-back as well, meaning that they will leak sound too.

What genres of music do you listen to? What is your budget? If your budget is around $90-$150, consider the es7 and D1001K. If it is less, look at the AKG K518dj

Well, I'm on a really tight budget of around 4k of our money or $80. I listen to all kinds of music, depending on the mood I'm in. Mostly rock though.

May 4, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #14 of 22
I once got a pair of skullcandy hesh as a gift. It was before I found this site and I actually knew nothing at all about skullcandy. I ended up selling them to a DJ friend of mine for $25 (he didn't care about SQ, just needed isolation and to hear the beat, which they did fine with). They were just terrible, and from what I hear they're actually the best sounding skullcandy out there.

Koss KSC75's are fantastic as portables. They're $15 (sometimes less). PX100's are also pretty solid. The Sennheiser HD201 is pretty good, and is dirt cheap, however, if you're actually moving around while listening, they're a bit microphonic (that is, bumping the cable makes distracting noises in the earcups).

For portable, I use Koss KSC75's most of the time, Denon D1001 if I want a closed phone and don't have to worry about carrying them around and JVC Marshmallow's if I want maximum sound isolation and/or need something I can just stuff in my pocket.

May 5, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I once got a pair of skullcandy hesh as a gift. It was before I found this site and I actually knew nothing at all about skullcandy. I ended up selling them to a DJ friend of mine for $25 (he didn't care about SQ, just needed isolation and to hear the beat, which they did fine with). They were just terrible, and from what I hear they're actually the best sounding skullcandy out there.

Koss KSC75's are fantastic as portables. They're $15 (sometimes less). PX100's are also pretty solid. The Sennheiser HD201 is pretty good, and is dirt cheap, however, if you're actually moving around while listening, they're a bit microphonic (that is, bumping the cable makes distracting noises in the earcups).

For portable, I use Koss KSC75's most of the time, Denon D1001 if I want a closed phone and don't have to worry about carrying them around and JVC Marshmallow's if I want maximum sound isolation and/or need something I can just stuff in my pocket.

Are the hesh really that bad? In what way specifically?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back