Need help on amp/dac setup for my summer house
Dec 30, 2014 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gugguson

Head-Fier
Hello.

I'm building a small summer house and I want to have a good setup for headphones and speakers/sub.  I have Sennheiser HD650 and Denon AH-D5000 at my home and a small integrated tube amp with subwoofer (both from Glow audio).

I think I will go with the MrSpeakers Alpha Prime or Audeze LCD-XC for my summer house.  I'm however a beginner so I'm not sure one what to go for regarding DAC and AMP.  I would also have bookshelf speakers with subwoofer which would be connected to the same source (sonos and the tv).

Here are two scetches, one showing how I think the system will be connected and a simplified sketch of the room:

My budget for amp/dac is about $1500 (give or take).  I like warm sound (therefore I have preferation for tube) and deep bass (when represented in the music).

As I have two sources (one coming from the tv and other coming from Sonos) I'm not sure how I would connect it without switching manually every time.  I don't think leting the Sonos stream through the TV is a good method as it could impact sound quality.

So what I'm primary hoping for help with is:

1)  Suggestions on amp/dac
2)  Connecting speakers, headphones, sub, tv and sonos together so it will work seamlessly.

I'm also looking for help with choosing the speakers and sub.

Thanks guys.
Johann

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 3
Hmm - I think you might want to look at a modern AV receiver or preamp that can handle the selection and switching of all the components. That way you can connect everything to the AV box and have a nice integrated remote control. If you use a receiver, make sure it has preamp output jacks so you can feed from the receiver into a tube power amp and/or a tube headphone amp.

I can tell you are trying to minimize the number of boxes, but I just don't think you are going to get everything you want in 1 or 2 boxes. Wanting tubes AND speakers AND headphones AND blue-ray AND TV AND remote control is just too many "Ands"... :)

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 3
Hmm - I think you might want to look at a modern AV receiver or preamp that can handle the selection and switching of all the components. That way you can connect everything to the AV box and have a nice integrated remote control. If you use a receiver, make sure it has preamp output jacks so you can feed from the receiver into a tube power amp and/or a tube headphone amp.

I can tell you are trying to minimize the number of boxes, but I just don't think you are going to get everything you want in 1 or 2 boxes. Wanting tubes AND speakers AND headphones AND blue-ray AND TV AND remote control is just too many "Ands"...
smily_headphones1.gif

Hello and thanks for the reply.

Well, the amp/dac would need only two inputs, the tv and sonos.  I might be able to live without the remote if I can control the volume by other means which comes from the TV.  Sonos has volume and if the TV volume output to the amp can be controlled from the TV then the remote isn't that important.

Tubes I can also live without if I have to skip something.  That leaves a small system with DAC/AMP (or combined) with the ability to use headphones, speakers and sub with two inputs.  It might be a lot to ask for I know.

A big AV box is something I'm not very keen on.  This (very expensive) amp might suit me if there was a cheaper alternative from other vendors:  http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa5.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back