Need Help on < $1000 Headphone EDM/ Movies (Needs Bass)
Sep 11, 2015 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tomatoshoe

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

My friend is looking for a < $1000 headphone that will work well with EDM. The main concern is bass. His current cans, the HD-650's paired with the Tubemagic D1's just isn't doing it for him in the bass department. He has listened to the Fidelio X2's that I have, as well as the HE-400's I've had, which he both said he liked in terms of sound. Oh and comfort is an issue as well. Headphones have to be full-sized and can be closed or open. (Leaning more towards open)

Now my question is: what headphone can satisfy these requirements?

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 7
If he wants bass, the LCD-2 might be worth a look. Honestly, I find them very overprice though. 

Sep 11, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 7
If bass is the main concern, I'll refer you here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

(But be warned that the best bass headphones tend to suffer in other areas.)

Sep 12, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #5 of 7
Thank you for that link. I didn't know about the Fostex TH-600 and that they are the "successor" to the Denon AHD-X000 series. I might actually pick up a pair of those for myself. I've always wanted a pair of those...and I guess that's my chance to get one of those.

Anyone else got any recommendations? Thanks for the help.

Sep 12, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 7
If you want the best of both worlds in terms of bass and other aspects of sound quality, I would recommend a planar magnetic headphone (I owned the HIFIMAN HE400i), since they can handle bass boosts (via EQ) well, but without EQ, they have neutral, linear bass.

By the way, I noticed your signature and was thinking about how all the stuff I've owned couldn't fit in a signature.
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Ultrasone PRO2900 or 900. Fantastic positional audio for gaming and movies, and lots of bass - the 900 especially. They're also very punchy and fast, which is nice with many electronic genres, like glitch, dub, jungle, speedcore, etc. Easily driven too, light-weight, and comfortable too. And they come with lots of spare parts. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back