Need help: no sound from right speaker. faulty DAC or speaker?
Jan 22, 2013 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DC5Zilla

500+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-fiers

I currently have the Bel Canto C5i integrated dac/amp that is connected to the V4 Magnum as well as the Philharmonitor (http://philharmonicaudio.com/philharmonicaudio/philpages/monitors.html).
Both the integrated amp and the speaker were purchased last summer and V4 was reconditioned by Rhydon this late fall.  I've recently start noticing that my right speaker sometimes emits very low volume or just no sound at all.  This does not happen with the Magnum btw.

The philharmonitor is quite big for a monitor and I'm sincerely hoping that it's not the speaker...  but if it is the speaker that is faulty, I guess I would have to ship them back for a repair.  
Could someone with knowledge shed me some light on how to determine the culprit for this problem?  

Thanks 

EDIT:  adding note.  The speaker problem always show up after switching back from headphone.  the sounds comes from both very clearly but then gradually the right speaker stutters and they completely stops.  If I fiddle around with the headphone jack (sticking it in the plug little back and forth), it fixes the problem...

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 4
Why don't you swap over the speakers? If the problem moves to the left channel then it would point to a faulty speaker, if it stays in the right channel then the issue is somewhere else.
From what you describe I believe the problem is at the Bel Canto: sounds like the switch in your headphone socket became "sticky". It may require cleaning or replacement.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 4
Hello Pleasantsounds,

Thank you so much for your input!  Will try swapping out the speakers tonight to see if the problem moves to the left channel or not.  In regards to the cleaning of the headphone socket, should I just contact Bel Canto for service or is it something a newbie can do?  

Thanks,

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Hello Pleasantsounds,

Thank you so much for your input!  Will try swapping out the speakers tonight to see if the problem moves to the left channel or not.  In regards to the cleaning of the headphone socket, should I just contact Bel Canto for service or is it something a newbie can do?  

Thanks,

Leave it to Bel Canto. In the end it could be something else and it's easy to make things worse if you're trying to fix the wrong thing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back