Need help, new TT won't work?
Aug 10, 2007 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

soloz2

Headphoneus Supremus
For those who were at the Toronto meet I picked up a Ariston Audio RD11 TT from Laurent. However, I never hooked it up until this morning. (I told myself I couldn't hook up my system until I finished my equipment rack... and I finished it this morning)

When I first turned it on the platter spun for about 15-20 sec before slowing down and stopping completely, and now it won't spin at all. Any ideas?

I have tried it plugged directly into the wall and plugged into my power conditioner.

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey soloz, can you post a pic of your new rack with your gear on it?

yeah, I will. I've gotta finish cleaning up the mess in my office first though. I just got my speaker cables back from my friend and I'll have to clean some records and give it a try
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nm, the belt fell off... lol I'm a vinyl noob if you hadn't already guessed... lol. Well as long as I've got the thread any other tips for getting all setup?

Lovely deck congratulations. Almost an exact clone of the early Linn Sondek LP12, although it was Ariston who came first by all accounts. See here http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/olde...turntable.html

You should post on vinylengine.com as that's probably where you'll find the most Ariston RD11 owners. Moving suspended subchasis tables will necessitate that you should re-level the suspension in it's new rack with a spirit level and get the bounce right on the springs. Hours of fun.
wink.gif
Not doing this properly will effect the belt path and cause it to slip.

First try cleaning the belt path with isoproyl alcohol and q-tips and washing the belt with warm soapy water. Dry it thoroughly with kitchen paper before refitting it.

If the belt is slipping it's possible the bearing was disturbed in transit and oil has got onto the inner platter. The above should remedy that but contacting turntablebasics.com for a new belt is a good idea anyway. FM21.6 Linn fit belt is probably what you need and they are very reasonably priced and will give you excellent service, going the extra mile to make sure the belt fits properly by sending you a range of sizes if needs be. So perhaps also try an FM21.2 as well as the one they recommend for the RD11 as getting the belt too tight will place undue stress on the bearing.

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 16
Thanks for all the good advice. I think the reason the belt fell off was because I didn't have it on properly to begin with. I do think that a new belt would be a good idea and I shall do so, but before I buy anything else for the table I need to send Laurent the last payment. (he let me take it w/ a partial payment & IOU)

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 16
I have a modded Ariston AR40. The belt goes very quickly if you don't take it off the pulley. I now keep a spare belt as well. I also use a strobe disc to check the speed in case the stretched belt starts slowing the rotation of the platter.
Might be useful for you to know, even though you have a RD11.
I got my belt from http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Analogue-Seduction if that helps.

Aug 12, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by larryminator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice rack and nice TT
biggrin.gif

thanks! now do you understand why it's taken me so long to get the TT hooked up? lol. I didn't have anyplace to finish it. I finally broke down and finished it in my living room w/ fans and the patio door open lol

Aug 12, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 16
www.vintage-electronics.org - I think thats the right url for them - I bought belts for my ariston RD80 from them and got good service at a very reasonable price. Clean the belt with some white spirit before fitting (and the pulleys too). Make sure the bearing is well lubed up - in fact unless you know it was done already, its probably a good idea to wash it out and then refill. A good quality 5w30 motor oil or even EP90 gear oil will work AOK. If the belt is continually slipping off then you will need to adjust either suspension or motor mounting - try the motor mounting first!

Another thing: if you don't have them, I think the manuals for the TT are on vinyl asylum.

Fran

Aug 13, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another thing: if you don't have them, I think the manuals for the TT are on vinyl asylum.

Probably vinyl engine the asylum is where they make you want to buy a 40 year old idler drive and a denon 103 cart.
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably vinyl engine the asylum is where they make you want to buy a 40 year old idler drive and a denon 103 cart.
wink.gif

Audiogon / audio asylum seems to have many of those kind of threads alright but you have to remember one of the main reasons for the resurgence of interest in idler drives is that they used to offer a lot for very little outlay and the same goes for the Denons. The problem is now everyone wants one the prices are creeping up again.

Vinylengine.com sidesteps the endless my-turntable-drive-system-is-better than-yours debates by cleverly segregating forums into Technics Owners or Linn or Thorens etc so you will find a lot of knowlegdable people who will likely have the same deck as you. They also have the most extensive free downloads of vinyl related manuals on the web.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back