NEED HELP. need a usb dac/amp that can do active speakers.
Oct 27, 2010 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

SgtFarva

New Head-Fier
I'm a complete noob when it comes to DACS and stuff.

So, I've been around entry level headphones for a while and now I want to up the ante. I'm thinking about getting KRK rp6 active monitors and a pair of grado rs-2. I want to be able to hookup both monitor and headphone to my computer via the dac. For now I want to keep it simple and use only one device for headphone amping and dac. I was looking at three dacs but they all fall short.

Nuforce Icon. Seemed to be well liked, cheap, simple, but dinky looking and no headphone amp. No toggle switch between headphone and active monitors. So they're out

Beresford TC-7520. Pretty much everything I want but I don't think I can have my headphones and active monitors both hooked up to it because as soon as you plug in the headphones everything else cuts out. If they're unplugged then you can select the other outputs. I believe this is what a gather from the manual. It might be a compromise I have to make.

Lastly, the Dr.DAC 2 DX. No variable output but It had a toggle switch between headphone and active speakers!! One catch. I read that you could only use the speakers from your computer via the optical digital output, no the rca outputs. WHAT GIVES? I want to use rca or trs so they're out. 

So, can anyone recommend me something that fits my needs? My budget is $400. Thanks for taking the time. I really appreciate it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back