Need help: NAD or Denon?
Dec 3, 2003 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

JAG

100+ Head-Fier
I know pratically zilcho about sources.
I am considering either:

- Denon D107
- NAD L40 + speakers

There isn't much at all about NAD L70 on head fi.
Does anyone have an opinion on this system?
NAD is offering a 200.00 instant rebate.

This will be for a small family room. I listen to rock/classic rock / jazz/ some classical / blues.

I have 800.00 budget, give or take.

Thanks

Dec 5, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 14
Do you mean the L40 or the L70? You mentioned both.

I own an L-40. It's an outstanding little receiver, well worth it if you can find one on the used market. The CD section is very clean, and the amp section is a little on the warmish side. The FM receiver picks up stations great with a good multidirectional antenna. It has plenty of power to fill small to medium rooms. The headphone out is suprisingly good, but can clip in places with high impedance phones like the K-501.

I've heard that only the Linn Classik outperforms the NAD in terms of all-in-one CD receivers. Let me know if you want to know any more about it.

--Chris

Dec 5, 2003 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 14
I just ordered NAD C320BEE and C521i combination this morning from DMC-Electronics for 479.00 total. They sell refurbished... but!.... they just emailed that I am getting brand new-never-used units. Not refurbs! They are great people to deal with!

Dec 5, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 14
Chillysalsa...
Yea ... it seems like a killer deal.

Thanks for speaker advice. I've been researching which PSB or which NHT and have been getting a little overwhelmed by differences and nuances.

Dec 5, 2003 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by JAG
I've been researching which PSB or which NHT and have been getting a little overwhelmed by differences and nuances.

PSBs match very well to NAD amps, in general. The PSB Alpha is a great pair for a small space.

I have the Acoustic Energy Aegis Ones myself, which have a more refined sound than the PSBs. Better for my kind of music, but not necessarily better matched than PSBs.

--Chris

Dec 6, 2003 at 2:13 AM Post #7 of 14
You guys have helped me narrow my choices. At this point I am inclined toward Acoustic Energy Aegis One unless it is PSB Image 2B. I'm going to try to find a place to audition in dc area.

Dec 6, 2003 at 5:08 AM Post #8 of 14
Is that PSB/NAD combo good with rock, dance and reggae? Im looking for something that sounds good with everything.

Dec 6, 2003 at 5:11 AM Post #9 of 14
Is that PSB/NAD combo good with rock, dance and reggae? Im looking for something that sounds good with everything.

Dec 6, 2003 at 5:14 AM Post #10 of 14

Dec 6, 2003 at 5:19 AM Post #11 of 14

Dec 6, 2003 at 8:17 AM Post #12 of 14
Say that again?
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2003 at 8:02 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by bundee1
something that sounds good with everything.

That's how I would describe it. Doesn't really shine in any one particular area, the PSB speakers are neutral, they image wonderfully, and do a respectable job with any kind of music. That was one of the reasons I bought 'em.

If you're going to focus more on accoustic music, I would possibly lean towards Axiom M3Ti's in that price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back