Need Help Matching Speaker Sensitivities
Feb 21, 2002 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

grrr223

All I want for Christmas is Radio Shack Cat.#910-4380
Okay, here's the situation:

I have a Sony STR-DE545 Receiver which has connections for both 5.1 capabilities as well as both A & B sets of front speakers. I also have 2 pairs of speakers. Klipsh kSF-8.5 floorstanding models and Bose 301 Series IV bookshelf speakers. I have a small dorm room that was never meant to have all these speakers in it, but oh well, I want to get my money's worth out of speakers I bought when I had a much larger room
smily_headphones1.gif
. I use them strictly for 2 channel music listening. The problem arrises from their sensitivities. The Klipsh are a very high 94 db @ 1 watt/1 meter while the Bose are only...hmm, after about an hour of searching, I can't even find it. Apparenty Bose doesn't like quoting that number. Anyway, it's a lot less than 94 db/w/m. When I have them connected as the A & B pairs of speakers, at any given volume, the Bose are very noticably quieter (or should I say not noticable at all because I can not hear the Bose over the Klipsh because there is probably a 6db difference in volume). I know I can give a boost or reduction to the speakers when they're set up in a home theater mode, but I don't want to artificially add any sort of reverb or anything which is what the different surround modes do to 2 channel music. Especially since they're not set up as front and rear speakers so it would not provide the illusion it's meant to.

I just want to be able to listen to these 2 pairs of speakers at the same volume. It wouldn't be hard to put in a volume control type device if it were line level, but it's not. Is there any way I could possibly attenuate the speaker level signal goign to the klipsh so that I can listen to all 4 speakers?
Any help would be much appreciated.

(I don't even want to hear a ******* thing about Bose or Sony, I thought they were the best when I bought them 3 years ago, and they have served me well. I am fully aware that there are much better brands out there, but quite frankly I don't need to hear it again, sorry, I've learned that the name Bose doesn't usualy get good responses on hi end audio sites).

I always konw that if I want hi-fi sound, I just reach for my Senns HD-600s connected to my Creek OBH-11. So, yes, I do know what hi quality sound is. I just can't afford it for anything bigger than headphones
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back