Need help making a laptop into a good primary source
Jan 8, 2007 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

labelbassist

New Head-Fier
So I'm going to be getting a laptop in a few months. I have a pair of Grado SR225s, but the only sources I have are a cheap portable CD player and an unamped iPod, so I figured why not make the laptop into a good source. I'm not at all familiar with computers as sources and could use some advice on components. Also is a laptop capable of having SQ equal to a CD player in the same price range as the upgrades?

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 7
I think that it might be a good solution for you

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...head-clear.php

And if you look at the Sale/Trade forum youll find at least 2 or 3 for sale...one that is a great deal that i would have bought if i haven't bought an Emu1212m recently
icon10.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 7
I'm in the same boat.

Sony SZ370p/c => Foobar2000 ASIO => Total Bithead (just purchased, awaiting arrival) => UE10 Pro.

My questions are:

Do I need a PCIMA sound card?
Do I need an amp between the Bithead and UE10's?

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 7
The bithead is an amp, so oubviously tou won't need an amp. I ain't 100% sure about this but i am pretty sure that the bithead when pluged with the USB become an external sound card...but you better ask somebody else about this one to be sure.

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnm222876 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the same boat.

Sony SZ370p/c => Foobar2000 ASIO => Total Bithead (just purchased, awaiting arrival) => UE10 Pro.

My questions are:

Do I need a PCIMA sound card? No - the Bithead is a USB soundcard - just plug into a spare USB port, and go.

Do I need an amp between the Bithead and UE10's? No, the Bithead IS an amp.

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I need a PCIMA sound card? No - the Bithead is a USB soundcard - just plug into a spare USB port, and go.

Do I need an amp between the Bithead and UE10's? No, the Bithead IS an amp.

Tanks!

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #7 of 7
I'm using my Macbook as the main component for my A/V rig... It plays every format of DVD on my TV set, docks with my iPods and an external 600 gig hard drive houses my iTunes libraries. With FrontRow and the remote control, it is every bit as easy to use as a stereo component.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back