Need help looking for headphones!
Aug 19, 2014 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ignite

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Me and my friends are looking for buy some headphones for a friend. Our max budget is $400 (USD) but are aiming for headphones around $350.

The headphones must be:

Highest priority

• Closed
• Over-ear
• Very comfortable (Most important)
• Noticeable/Punchy bass (I own the AT-MH50s and the bass should be more punchy/lively/noticeable than this)
• Crisp and clear (Nice highs, mids, lows)

Lower priority

• Nice/Cool looking (This is just a bonus but good example of this would be the Sennheiser HD 598s)
• Fold-able for extra portability (Also just a bonus).

Sorry if my terminology is horrible, just recently became interested in good headphones/audio so forgive me.

I'm probably asking for ALOT but any help would be much appreciated! =]

To start off, I've heard that the Sony xb-500s have nice bass, but the mids/highs are not the best.

Aug 19, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 10
M100 with XL pads has everything you want except that the highs are hard to hear because it's dark in there.

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 10
Well, if you want more noticeable/punchy bass than the M50s, then either the treble or mid presence will have to suffer a bit in that you only have more bass by having it be more than something else.

Also, what do you mean by the M100s being too "aggressive?"

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 10
hehe...I'm getting both the Focal Spirit Professional and V-MODA Crossfade M-100.

The first one is notorious for its lack of comfort, but it should at least be bearable. What interests me about it is that it is neutral and balanced, yet punchy and energetic.

Since aggressive was mentioned in relation to looks, perhaps the M-100 is simply too attention-grabbing.

Aug 20, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #6 of 10
Well, if you want more noticeable/punchy bass than the M50s, then either the treble or mid presence will have to suffer a bit in that you only have more bass by having it be more than something else.

Also, what do you mean by the M100s being too "aggressive?"

Yup, I'm willing to sacrifice that, but don't want extremely bassy, just more bassy than M50s =].

By aggressive I was talking about the aesthetics of the headphones, like what Music Alchemist said, stands out too much I guess?

I was also looking at the Focal Spirit Professional headphones as well but heard it was uncomfortable too, which is the most important thing to me.

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #7 of 10
Look into ZMF v2. They might be willing to work with you on a custom bass heavy set if there's time. It would certainly be a much more personal present, given all the options.

Yeah, forget the Focals. They sound great but are simply not comfortable or durable. I hope they get it right next time.

Best luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back