Need help looking for an adapter for my amp
Jul 13, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 16
If your trying to hook up single ended headphones to a balanced amp you will likely damage it. You can go single ended to balanced but not the other way around.

Jul 13, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 16
Jul 13, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 16
I want to connect my headphones via female XLR - it has a left and right side, so what i am looking for is female XLR that converts to a female 1/4.

There are XLR to TRS converter plugs on Amazon but you can only go from Balanced (single 4-pin or dual "3"-pin) XLR output to Balanced dual TRS or single TRRS. You can't go from Balanced amp to SE single TRS.

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #8 of 16
Pathos atrium. I have a cable that is 1/4 and don't want to mod the end. So I want a 3 pin balance to 1/4 female so I can connect the cable for my LCD headphone.

You wouldn't be able to hook them up that way anyway. The XLR output are line outputs (fixed volume), and would not work to power headphones anyway.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #10 of 16
It works for my LCD X because it low impedance, and the XLR output are super clean, because it doesn't get distortion from the amp part. I control volume from my DAC.

What is the problem using the front headphone jack?

It would not be advised to use the rear XLR and control via the DAC, you ideally need to feed the amp a proper line-in signal and let the amp amplify the signal.

The Tape out you are planning to use defeats the use of the amp, as the amp is not amplifying the signal, just passing it through (probably not even through the tube amp circuit) as most of these through outputs bypass the whole of the amp, so RCA in > Tape out, not RCA > Tube stage > Mosfet > Headphone out.

I really don't get what your aim is....

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 16
It works for my LCD X because it low impedance, and the XLR output are super clean, because it doesn't get distortion from the amp part. I control volume from my DAC

Tape Outs are just bypass outputs - they're connected directly to the inputs save for the paths on the board and any switches. You might as well just hook up your headphones direct to your DAC. You might be getting enough voltage to get the LCD-2 loud enough but you get zero amplifier performance in the way of current delivery and such.

In any case, why did you buy a tube amp and then just to bypass the entire circuit altogether? Or, since you like the sound anyway, why keep using the headphone amp? It's not doing anything at all that way other than adding to the signal path, but not doing anything "active," which as how you understand things right now, "active = bad, full of distortion" and "passive = really clean." That kinda works for active vs passive preamp, but not for the actual amp stage.

Jul 14, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #12 of 16
I think the tape out still gets gets distortion from the tubes and do not bypass them. It just bypass the amp stage. At lease from what I'm hearing lol...

But more importantly can I fix an adapter for xlr to 1/4 female to plug my headphones in

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #13 of 16
I think the tape out still gets gets distortion from the tubes and do not bypass them. It just bypass the amp stage. At lease from what I'm hearing lol...

But more importantly can I fix an adapter for xlr to 1/4 female to plug my headphones in
Still going to believe you can damage the amp that way as the xlr connections do not share the ground of each channel but the 1/4" does. It would be a easy cable to make but I doubt you are going to find one pre made for the reason it is a bad idea. You can go from the rca outs as that is not a problem as the grounds are shared there.

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #15 of 16

From what you're hearing... From where?

Basically do not hook up your headphones to the tape out. It may damage your expensive headphone amp.

Use the dedicated headphone output on the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back