Need help looking for a pair of headphones for listening to Drum&Bass and Dubstep with good isolation.
Apr 28, 2014 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

WabZ

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I usually listen to Drum & Bass and Dubstep. I don't produce, so sound precision isn't all that important to me.

Currently I have a pair of Sony MDR-XB500. I'm really happy about how warm they sound and like their punchy bass.
But I can't use them on the go because they leak sound and look pretty huge.

I'm looking for some headphones for mobile use which sound similar. So I can use them in the bus without annoying other people. I like to listen to my music loud so it's important to me.

I've read a few posts and found the Ultrasone PRO900 recommended a few times.
I'd like to know what you think. I'd appreciate any other suggestions.

Apr 28, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #3 of 11
Oh right, should have said that in the post, sorry.

The cheaper the better of course, but I could spend up to 450€. Those Ultrasone Pro900 cost around 400€ in Amazon ES (i'm from Spain, Amazon UK is more expensive this time). But really, if there is something that costs more I would like to take a look and consider it also.

I'd use them with:
- PC with a sound blaster z sound card
- MacbookPro
- Nexus 4
- iPhone (when I buy it in like 6 months)

I understand that it's possible that I'll have to get an amp. if you could suggest one also that would be great

Apr 29, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #5 of 11
The V-Moda M-100 look pretty cool. I've looked at them a bit. They include a microphone and a little control pad which is useful. Also they're great value.
The only thing that concerns me is that some people said that their bass doesn't sound as good as the Pro900. As I'm a bass-head.

If I equalize them to empower their bass, will they distort?
Sorry, I'm no expert in music.

And last, should I get an amp with them? Which one?

Thanks.

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 11
Hey, I've looked at those two. But I like the V-Moda M100 better, so I think I'll go with those.

Now, Do you think it makes sense to get an amp with them?

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 11
It makes sense but it's a little unnecessary. Personally, I wouldn't. I'd grab the Fiio X3 (a music player that sounds much better than an iPod, also with a powerful amp) since your budget allows it.

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 11
Now, Do you think it makes sense to get an amp with them?

Not until you try them. Their sensitivity is similar to your Sonys. They impedance is a little lower, but good chance they will be about as easy to drive with your devices. So an amp might not do much for you other than let you play them louder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back