Need Help Looking for a New Set of IEMs Under $200
Jul 31, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #16 of 34
I really want to thank everyone for their responses, and helping me out.
It's becoming more clear to me now that the TF10s and the turbines aren't right for me. So far, I am leaning towards purchasing the GR07 Bass editions, IE80s, that were mentioned earlier, and the EPH 100s. I've read that the GR07 BEs only have a slight increase in the bass quantity, is this true? Some have said the original GR07s sounded very flat, and lacked bass. I do not want a flat sounding iem. The IE80s look very good; they have that warm signature that I was talking about. The problem is that they go over my budget. Can anyone tell me how the mids are? I read that they are slightly recessed. The eph 100s, I've read they sound really good, have a wide soundstage, and have good bass. Are these only good for Electronic music, though? How do they compare to the GR07 BEs and the IE80s? I want an iem that's a good all-rounder, performs well in a variety of genres. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #19 of 34
The TF10 has an enjoyable signature that shouldn't be too hard to demo first. Fairly durable (6hr/day/2yrs) and only had to replace the stock cable once. As comfortable as any other universal. There's also that appreciation thread...

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:
The TF10 has an enjoyable signature that shouldn't be too hard to demo first. Fairly durable (6hr/day/2yrs) and only had to replace the stock cable once. As comfortable as any other universal. There's also that appreciation thread...

How does it handle hip hop and rock (my favorite genres)? I feel like it's signature won't compliment these genres. I know they are really good for trance/electronic music, though

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #21 of 34
I had some mtpg and loved the quality bass was great and didn't overpower mids and highs. however ny biggest problem was comfort and although they come with a ton of tips, I felt like to fully enjoy my music I had to stuff them in ears. If u can get them to be comfortable then I think these would be great for your tastes

Jul 31, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #22 of 34
Are there any other suggestions?

I saw a deal on Amazon Germany that sells the IE80s for 199 euros (that translates to about 250-270 USD). And I know they're authentic because the seller is Sennheiser themselves. But I'm still not ready to make the deal, as I feel like I am making a decision too early, or I'm not ready. I'm still interested in the GR07 BEs; they sell for about 180 USD. Out of these 2, which would be the better bang for my buck? And also any other recommendations on other iems in this price range would be much appreciated.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #23 of 34
Are there any other suggestions?

I saw a deal on Amazon Germany that sells the IE80s for 199 euros (that translates to about 250-270 USD). And I know they're authentic because the seller is Sennheiser themselves. But I'm still not ready to make the deal, as I feel like I am making a decision too early, or I'm not ready. I'm still interested in the GR07 BEs; they sell for about 180 USD. Out of these 2, which would be the better bang for my buck? And also any other recommendations on other iems in this price range would be much appreciated.
I say go for gr07

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #25 of 34
From your description I recommend GR07BE, MK2's bass is bit off your taste. Also IMO the IE80 is not as capable as GR07 technically. XBA-40 is another great option.

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:
From your description I recommend GR07BE, MK2's bass is bit off your taste. Also IMO the IE80 is not as capable as GR07 technically. XBA-40 is another great optionWhaHow 

How are the mids and highs on the gr07 BE? And how was your overall experience of gr07 BEs and the ie80s? Also, I will check out the XBA 40s. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also IMO the IE80 is not as capable as GR07 technically.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain?

Aug 1, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:
How are the mids and highs on the gr07 BE? And how was your overall experience of gr07 BEs and the ie80s? Also, I will check out the XBA 40s. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain?

MK2 have clearer highs and more neutral mids, BE's highs are slightly darker and mids are warmer. The enhancement in bass is more in the mid bass region, sub bass on the BE is not that much different from the MK2, so impact is better but depth is almost same. Also the sound stage on BE is wider than that of MK2. Overall from personal experience I will pick either the MK2 or BE over the IE80.

GR07 brings out more details in the recordings than the IE80. And as previous poster said the bass is indeed somewhat muddy on the IE80. Overall it sounds a more refined version of CX300.

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #29 of 34
In terms of the reliability of the Monsters, I've had 3 friends with them (Turbines, MDT and Trumpets), and all 3 had issues with the cable failing. However the warranty service as pretty good.

I have the TF10s, and absolutely love them for every genre I've tried on them, including rock and dubstep/EDM etc, and they are my favourite headphones. But I would try the fit on them before deciding if you can.

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:
Honestly, I have not heard the gr07. However, ie8 or ie80 is not the best option. Bass gets muddy on them. That's why I said go for gr07.

Thank you.
Quote:

MK2 have clearer highs and more neutral mids, BE's highs are slightly darker and mids are warmer. The enhancement in bass is more in the mid bass region, sub bass on the BE is not that much different from the MK2, so impact is better but depth is almost same. Also the sound stage on BE is wider than that of MK2. Overall from personal experience I will pick either the MK2 or BE over the IE80.

GR07 brings out more details in the recordings than the IE80. And as previous poster said the bass is indeed somewhat muddy on the IE80. Overall it sounds a more refined version of CX300.

Thanks. How durable is the gr07 BE? And how long has it lasted you? I'm asking because the cable looks pretty... "meh", IMO, and also they aren't replaceable, so that makes me more nervous on getting these. I don't want to spend $100+ on iems that stop working in under a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back