Need help knowing if my planned set-up will even work.
Aug 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

IDontEvenDemon

New Head-Fier
Alright, I have purchased a Polk PSW10 Sub, Polk T15 Bookshelf Speakers, and a Dayton Audio DTA-100a T-Amp to bring it together. My only problem is I'm not that experienced with wiring, and I'm unsure that what I've bought can even be used together, although I'm under the impression it can. Can it? And if so, would one of the more generous forumgoers here be so kind as to write out a barebones guide for how I'd connect them?

Much appreciated.

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
Alright, I have purchased a Polk PSW10 Sub, Polk T15 Bookshelf Speakers, and a Dayton Audio DTA-100a T-Amp to bring it together. My only problem is I'm not that experienced with wiring, and I'm unsure that what I've bought can even be used together, although I'm under the impression it can. Can it? And if so, would one of the more generous forumgoers here be so kind as to write out a barebones guide for how I'd connect them?

Much appreciated.

Quote:
You still need a crossover to separate the highs and lows from each other. FALSE

The green lines represent speaker wire that you'll hook up from the amp to the sub. The red square represents the wire you'll hook up from the sub to the speakers. The red arrow represents your crossover. It's recommended to usually keep it around 80hz.

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 19
Whew. Thank you so much for clarifying that. I was afraid I'd have yet another piece of equipment to purchase. 

Head-Fi is such a helpful site, and I'm glad to finally be a part of it after lurking here for so long.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
Whew. Thank you so much for clarifying that. I was afraid I'd have yet another piece of equipment to purchase. 

Head-Fi is such a helpful site, and I'm glad to finally be a part of it after lurking here for so long.
smily_headphones1.gif

Let me be the first to say to you "Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet." 
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 19
Let me be the first to say to you "Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet." 
biggrin.gif

Thank you kindly. I'm a college student and Head-Fi has been integral in my shopping for budget cans and pocket amps (Grado SR80, ATH-M50, and Beyer DT770, with Fiio E7 and 9). Finally decided that I needed a better home setup, though. 
biggrin.gif

Currently trying to gather thought on what I'll need to wire. Looks like banana plugs, pin connectors, and RCA plugs. Time to go to Radioshack, I guess. 
confused_face.gif

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Thank you kindly. I'm a college student and Head-Fi has been integral in my shopping for budget cans and pocket amps (Grado SR80, ATH-M50, and Beyer DT770, with Fiio E7 and 9). Finally decided that I needed a better home setup, though. 
biggrin.gif

Currently trying to gather thought on what I'll need to wire. Looks like banana plugs, pin connectors, and RCA plugs. Time to go to Radioshack, I guess. 
confused_face.gif

Monoprice.com should be much cheaper. Check it out.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
HOLY.

It's so much cheaper; I-I can't even. Praise be to the Head-Fi saviors. 
atsmile.gif

Still confused on finding an RCA to speaker-wire adapter. 
confused_face.gif

Why do you need an RCA to speaker wire adapter? It appears the Dayton amp has binding posts you can unscrew and put bare wire in, or use banana plugs. Yeah Monoprice is awesome for rock bottom prices on all your wire needs.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
Why do you need an RCA to speaker wire adapter? It appears the Dayton amp has binding posts you can unscrew and put bare wire in, or use banana plugs. Yeah Monoprice is awesome for rock bottom prices on all your wire needs.

I am the biggest idiot. I didn't look closely enough at the jacks on the Dayton amp, and thought that they were RCA jacks instead of banana jacks. Spent a good bit looking for something that I didn't need. x_x

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
I am the biggest idiot. I didn't look closely enough at the jacks on the Dayton amp, and thought that they were RCA jacks instead of banana jacks. Spent a good bit looking for something that I didn't need. x_x

Hehe, don't worry it happens to all of us at some point in time 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #13 of 19
Definitely skip the banana plugs. No audio benefit in using them :)

Some other configuration help: since the Polk T15s are rated with a 65hz -3db range, I would suggest trying the low pass filter on the sub at 80hz (the lowest setting). Put the phase switch wherever it sounds the best for bass. Adjust the gain (volume) so that it sounds balanced to you with the speakers.

Let us know how it sounds when you get them hooked up. :)

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #14 of 19
When I was in college I moved a lot and being able to easily connect things were great.  I do not regret my banana plugs at all.  My wife has even moved my receiver with them and was surprised at how convenient it was.

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #15 of 19

Damn. I didn't see a picture of the back of the sub when I was looking and didn't see the crossover as a result... I was looking for the crossover on the bookshelf units 
biggrin.gif

When I was in college I moved a lot and being able to easily connect things were great.  I do not regret my banana plugs at all.  My wife has even moved my receiver with them and was surprised at how convenient it was.

This. Unshielded speaker wire is a pain in the butt to mess with. It wears down and you constantly have to adjust it if you touch anything. Finicky contacts for the lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back