Need Help, is CIEM really much more comfortable than Universal IEM ?
Feb 4, 2021 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

10DeeQ

100+ Head-Fier
hi, first of all im not new to audio stuff
but i was more to car audio hobbyist, my favourites car setup would be a Dynaudio Esotar t330D tweeter paired with a Scan Speak Revelator Mid bass, and add a punchy sub woofer , something likes Kicker Solobaric sub , well, anyway my sound preference would be a warm thick mid, punchy and dynamic sub bass, with a smooth treeble that are not ear piercing.

but since this Covid pandemic, i seldom drive anymore since most of the time i work from home,
home audio is not an option for me as i have 2 little daughters and the only time i have to listen and enjoy my music is at night after the fell a sleep.

so i started to learn about this forum and bought myself couples of headphone
- V-Moda M100
- Sony wh1000XM

i like the sound of the v-moda a lot, but i couldn't get a good fit since my head is quite big and the v-moda just too uncomfortable for me to wear more than 1 hour
the sony fits nicely but the sound quality is not the best.

so i looked into IEM world
and after some reviews, i get my self a Fiio FH3
i like the sound, but i wish for a warmer and thicker mids, and less sharp treeble.

ok enough with all that

i always preffer earbud style for casual listening compared to IEM as i'm those person who can "hear" the microphonic from my cable when touching my shirt or body
but i like the sound from iem more.
i did tried airpods pro, but the Sound quality is way below than the cheaper Fiio that i have.

so i think i'm ready to get my self a "decent" Custom IEM
but since they are not cheap, i have some concerns before ordering one.

i know people says that CIEM is much mire comfortable than UIEM
but how much so ?
the problem with UIEM, is that i dont like the eartips, i tried silicone, rubber and foam tips, but i just can feel them inside my ear and i don't like the feeling.
from what i saw,CIEM is without any tips, so will it give much more comfort ? and also will it minimise the microphonic effect from the cable ?

overall, is it worth it ?

i just bought myself a decent player a hiby R6 2020 , and i have about $1000 budget to get a decent CIEM/ UIEM.
so please guide me guys.

i'm seriously curious about the comfort of a CIEM compared to UIEM

and since we are here can anyone recommend a good decent one to get based on my prefference ?

i listen to top 40, slow, rnb, jazz, 90's song.
and my sound prefference are
thick warm mid / vocal
punchy and fast bass
smooth treeble.

thank you so much head fiers

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 7
Think it really depends on the measurements taken, materials used , weight etc. I didn't find my ciem to be any more comfortable than a uiem and our ear shape itself can change, i think mine would have changed in around my 10 yrs of use.

Feb 12, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #3 of 7
Think it really depends on the measurements taken, materials used , weight etc. I didn't find my ciem to be any more comfortable than a uiem and our ear shape itself can change, i think mine would have changed in around my 10 yrs of use.

thx
But ciem has no silicone and foam tips right ? So I guess they’ll be more comfortable?

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 7
i know people says that CIEM is much mire comfortable than UIEM
but how much so ?
the problem with UIEM, is that i dont like the eartips, i tried silicone, rubber and foam tips...

That's gonna be hard to quantify but the gist is it'll be custom molded to your ear conch and outer ear canal so you won't have to deal with things like one ear canal being wider than the right, requiring you to buy two sets of tips; an odd size ear canal where one tip is too loose but the next size up won't go in deep enough; getting slightly too large tips that are too soft the ear squishes them enough to close the bore and alter the sound...

There are trade offs though. For one if the fit isn't right you have to send them back; and then there's the question of do they not take the shape of your ears or you just really don't like that, which is not something you can easily answer until you've had one you like and then reshelling that for repair or getting a new one results in one that doesn't fit right.

i tried silicone, rubber and foam tips, but i just can feel them inside my ear and i don't like the feeling.
from what i saw,CIEM is without any tips, so will it give much more comfort ?

They're gonna go even deeper in your ears since they'll custom mold it and need that to help anchor the IEM (with that bore and the drivers tuned together) to your ears instead of a tip that your ears have to squeeze a bit.

and also will it minimise the microphonic effect from the cable ?

That still depends more on the cable's jacket. You can have IEMs that don't move either way and still get microphonic noise when you tap the cable.

overall, is it worth it ?

That's highly dependent on each individual's buying power and what really matters.

As for fit I'd say it's worth it. But I don't have one. Why? These are mobile use to me and are more likely to get damaged.

Feb 14, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 7
thx
But ciem has no silicone and foam tips right ? So I guess they’ll be more comfortable?
No, there are no silicone and foam tips. My ciem had a small hairline crack (very hard to notice) on the tip end of it so when I use it longer, it will iritate that part of it where it contacts my ear so in that way not very comfortable. It could have happened when I dropped it, not sure but I have very light iems that are so light like the Trinity Hyperion that are extremely comfortable and like it's not even there. I don't think they can make ciems as light as iems but if that is not an issue, generally ciems should be more comfortable.

If you are asking if you should get a CIEM, I think you should...atleast once :D

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 7
That's gonna be hard to quantify but the gist is it'll be custom molded to your ear conch and outer ear canal so you won't have to deal with things like one ear canal being wider than the right, requiring you to buy two sets of tips; an odd size ear canal where one tip is too loose but the next size up won't go in deep enough; getting slightly too large tips that are too soft the ear squishes them enough to close the bore and alter the sound...

There are trade offs though. For one if the fit isn't right you have to send them back; and then there's the question of do they not take the shape of your ears or you just really don't like that, which is not something you can easily answer until you've had one you like and then reshelling that for repair or getting a new one results in one that doesn't fit right.

They're gonna go even deeper in your ears since they'll custom mold it and need that to help anchor the IEM (with that bore and the drivers tuned together) to your ears instead of a tip that your ears have to squeeze a bit.

That still depends more on the cable's jacket. You can have IEMs that don't move either way and still get microphonic noise when you tap the cable.

That's highly dependent on each individual's buying power and what really matters.

As for fit I'd say it's worth it. But I don't have one. Why? These are mobile use to me and are more likely to get damaged.
Thanks for the detailed explanation, it really helps

Feb 14, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 7
No, there are no silicone and foam tips. My ciem had a small hairline crack (very hard to notice) on the tip end of it so when I use it longer, it will iritate that part of it where it contacts my ear so in that way not very comfortable. It could have happened when I dropped it, not sure but I have very light iems that are so light like the Trinity Hyperion that are extremely comfortable and like it's not even there. I don't think they can make ciems as light as iems but if that is not an issue, generally ciems should be more comfortable.

If you are asking if you should get a CIEM, I think you should...atleast once :D
Ok took a plunge ordering avara av3🤪

Users who are viewing this thread

Back