Need Help Installing Upgraded Outlet.
Oct 16, 2004 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

PhilS

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought an Acme upgraded outlet for my audio system, and I have a question about installation. The outlet I am replacing has two black wires and two white wires. The black wires go into the top two holes on one side of the back of the outlet and the white wires go into the top two holes on the other side of the outlet. The bottom two holes on each side of the outlet have no connection.

The outlet I am replacing has two screws on each side, one on the top and one on the bottom. Do I connect the two black wires to the top screw on the one side and the two white wires to the top screw on the other side, or do I connect one black wire to the top screw and one to the bottom, and the same with the white wire? Thanks in advance for you help.

Oct 16, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 4
The two black wires are most likely the power wires and the white usually the return wires. This has always been the way I've seen them.
One question? No ground wire. (most likely green or bare copper)

Oct 16, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 4
Yes, I have ground wire and a green screw on the outlet for that. And I'm sure the black wires are the hot wires. I'm just not sure where to attach them given that the outlet I'm replacing has 4 sets of two holes, one set top and bottom on each side, and the new outlet only has two sets of screws, top and bottom on each side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back