Need help in knowing the best way to connect professional headphones to a laptop
Nov 30, 2013 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

adone56

New Head-Fier
Hi
I am sure this is a question that has been answered thousand of times but still I am lost in the haze.

The fact is that I have some music in FLAC format stored in my laptop and would like to hear it at full quality, I have a pair of professional Shure headphones hence I need a box to put between the laptop and the headphones.

The question is: What should I buy? It should be something reasonably small so that I can travel with it.

Thanks a lot in advance for all your help

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 6
Travel you say?
Have a look into the Audioquest Dragonfly. It doesn't really get more portable.

Nov 30, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 6
I am afraid the Audioquest Dragonfly will let me down. My headphones have 32 ohm input impedance and need lot of current. Also the distortion is a concern because I suppose the output impedance of such device shouldn't be very low and for a decent hearing I will need the output impedance under a couple of ohms.

What would be another possibility, I an looking at something with volume, bass and treble controls

Nov 30, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 6
You might want to look at Fiio products they have a large variety of DACs and Amps. 

The Fiio E17 is good i hear.

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 6
  I am afraid the Audioquest Dragonfly will let me down. My headphones have 32 ohm input impedance and need lot of current. Also the distortion is a concern because I suppose the output impedance of such device shouldn't be very low and for a decent hearing I will need the output impedance under a couple of ohms.

What would be another possibility, I an looking at something with volume, bass and treble controls

Audioengine D3
And no, there's not volume/bass or treble controls. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back