Need help in gaming and portable headphones
Jul 6, 2013 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

th2ndchmst

New Head-Fier
greetings, everyone.
I am someone from Indonesia.

So let's cut to the discussion. I am very new to the audio world and in need of a guide to maximize my budget.
I mostly use my rigs to go into gaming, and to portables.

So what I currently have is only the Razer Electra I bought for all purposes. I listen to a wide variety of music (mainly the bass-y type, or dubstep and metal, but bass-y) and I also want to focus more on gaming so I will focus on two sets of rigs. I will talk a little bit much in these now.

First, for portable headphones.
I am currently budgeting for an Audio-Technica SJ55 (Indonesian retail price at $70). Some reviews I read made me take Incipio F38 and Monoprice 8323 into consideration, both cost $28 and $30 respectively (not considering local price). I know they aren't all in the same cash level as SJ55 will cost double as much. I am looking into something that is more noise-cancelling and more durable. I also don't mind about adding a portable amp to leverage the sound quality so durability and noise cancellation will matter more. Removable cable is very preferable. This is for use in public places.

Second, for gaming headphones.
Temporarily I will be using the Razer Electra until it broke completely. Only after then, I have Razer Carcharias and Steelseries Siberia V2 at my consideration (they are relatively in the same price level as the new type of Carcharias has just recently been released). Seeing from the reviews led me to choose the Carcharias over V2. (of course, I haven't heard from head-fi yet.) Razer may have been overpricing but Carcharias is relatively well-reviewed after all. Addition for soundcard will not be advisable, since I will give way to building my gaming PC first. The same goes for 7.1 feature (which is still largely debated, plus I think I found a way to tweak this via calibration). Removable cable is also very preferable, but positioning and sound quality matters more.
Also, how do you think about SADES' products? they sale 7.1 gaming headsets with only $10 - $30.

I will be very open to other product recommendations as I still haven't seen those much in reviews. Lastly, I would say thank you in advance to everyone that has given me their insights on this.

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 7
So I've decided to drop my Electra due to because of someone wants it.
I don't know how Razer is being rated at HF but I am going to change it, soon. with the same plan I said in post #1.

Maybe with a few changes in the gaming department, though, if I can find something more valuable or cheaper.

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 7
JVC HA-S400 and HA-S500 folding portable headphones.

Takstar Hi2050 (Technical Pro HPT-990) open headphones, for gaming on computer.

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
JVC HA-S400 and HA-S500 folding portable headphones.

Takstar Hi2050 (Technical Pro HPT-990) open headphones, for gaming on computer.

great, I think I'll go with the S400.

As for gaming....just being curious, I haven't found any good answers here and everywhere, but how does the Hi2050 compare to ATH AD700? says AD700 lacks bass and it was being fixed by the AD700x. And also I'd like the comparison between these three, if applicable. I want to keep myself from buying all three.
And an additional note that I will be using these for competitive gaming. AD700 is said to have excellent positional accuracy.

Am I comparing apple to orange?

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Great, I think I'll go with the S400.
As for gaming....just being curious, I haven't found any good answers here and everywhere, but how does the Hi2050 compare to ATH AD700? says AD700 lacks bass and it was being fixed by the AD700x. And also I'd like the comparison between these three, if applicable. I want to keep myself from buying all three.
And an additional note that I will be using these for competitive gaming. AD700 is said to have excellent positional accuracy.
Am I comparing apple to orange?

I own the ATH-AD700s, everything is nice about them....but because they have such a lite bass, I never wear them (any more) for music or movies and I have not gamed in awhile.
I'm going to guess(?) the AD700Xs are an improvement over the AD700s.
The Hi2050 ($60) are the value option and have more bass then the AD700s (used, $70), but I doubt the Hi2050 are a full match to the AD700s when it comes to sound quality and surround sound.

So I would say chances are the AD700X is the best of the three.
(currently Digbuy seems to have the best price, new $129.99)
But I can't really say how much better then the other two headphones, you might want to read up on the AD700X.

I do prefer to wear my Sennheiser HD558s over the AD700s, the HD558 are not the warmest headphones, but I like to think of them as jack of all trades and used ones can sell used for around $100.

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
I own the ATH-AD700s, everything is nice about them....but because they have such a lite bass, I never wear them (any more) for music or movies and I have not gamed in awhile.
I'm going to guess(?) the AD700Xs are an improvement over the AD700s.
The Hi2050 ($60) are the value option and have more bass then the AD700s (used, $70), but I doubt the Hi2050 are a full match to the AD700s when it comes to sound quality and surround sound.

So I would say chances are the AD700X is the best of the three.
(currently Digbuy seems to have the best price, new $129.99)
But I can't really say how much better then the other two headphones, you might want to read up on the AD700X.

I do prefer to wear my Sennheiser HD558s over the AD700s, the HD558 are not the warmest headphones, but I like to think of them as jack of all trades and used ones can sell used for around $100.

Thanks! That really helps a lot. I've read some, though. That's why I asked about them again
biggrin.gif

HD558 is still completely out of my current budget, but I think I'll be looking for them in later times.
But if I can find AD700 of that price I think I'd be choosing it over the Hi2050 (but of course, or at least I suppose).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back