venzuel00

100+ Head-Fier
I'm planning to order the following from homegrown audio:
Super Silver Braid (1 ft)
Audio Grade Silver Solder
Rhodium / Silver Standard RCA (2)
Heatshrink tubing
Maybe Switchcraft 3.5mm

Is this all I need? Also, would it be better to buy a 90 switchcraft 3.5 mm or just the straight mini?

If I was to buy 8 braided wire, how would i have to solder the wires to the connectors?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Apr 16, 2003 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 5
It looks like you're going to make a single 1 ft Mini to RCA cable. If this is the case and you decided to purchase the 8 braided wire, then you would use 2 strands for signal and 2 strands for return on each RCA plug. Then on the other end you would solder the 2 strands from each of the signals on the RCA plugs to the corresponding terminal on the 3.5mm plug (remember: tip=left, ring=right, sleeve=ground). Then solder the remaining 4 strands (2 from each return on the RCA plugs) to the ground terminal on the 3.5mm plug.

Quote:

Is this all I need? Also, would it be better to buy a 90 switchcraft 3.5 mm or just the straight mini?

This depends on your needs. If you are looking at switchcraft strait plugs (which you can get from Markertek, since Homegrown doesn't sell them) you might want to consider the Canare 3.5mm (I know Sol_Zhen liked them better, plus they're a whole 30 cents cheaper!) But then again, these are just the nickel plated and not the gold plated (no Rhodium or Silver even offered). So you might want to look for a "better" plug.

Hope this helps, and I'd like a second opinion as I just did most of my reading on DIY cable construction yesterday...

TA

Apr 16, 2003 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 5
Missed this thread, but we exchanged PMs. Markertek has good prices and ships UPS.

Apr 16, 2003 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by tommyatkins
But then again, these are just the nickel plated and not the gold plated (no Rhodium or Silver even offered). So you might want to look for a "better" plug.

Does anyone have any advice on top quality plugs in these categories:
3.5mm straight
3.5mm 90 degree
1/4"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back