Need help in choosing the best IEM, CONFUSED! in $300
Feb 26, 2011 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

skpamnani

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-fiers'
I've been lurking on this forum for a long time, read alot of reviews and decided to get IEM as my first audible headphones (otherwise i didn't use 'phones, just my klipsch reference speakers at home).
After reading so many reviews, i've been really confused on which ones to pick. Trying out is not a option because i live in a small town where i can only find Bose and Monsters.
So my budget is around $300 and music preference being various genres. I would like some bass but i also want isolation so i can use 'em while studying (college student).
here is the headphones that i am confused (mostly discovered on head-fi):

Phonak Audeo with mic 121, white
Senn' IE7
Fischer audio DBA-02
UE TF10
Hifiman 252, RE0, RE-zero

Any others suggestions would be appreciated, oh and my source is iphone 4 and mic is neither required nor wanted. It was available in Phonak so just because of that its on the list, i might go for the one without mic too.

I would like to mention that little bit of isolation is needed for me
Thanks

edited to raise budget!

Feb 26, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 9
Wouldn't you also want the left IEM also? They usually come in pairs.

J/k :p

Your musical preference would really be the determining factor. I have the TF10, and while I love them and they have great bass, I wouldn't recommend them if you listen to mostly vocal-centric music as their mids are a bit recessed.

Feb 26, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 9
thanks for the reply! Good catch there...it tells u that I m not a experienced writer :)
I really liked the reviews of tf10's but how is their isolation?
I also like re262 but I think they are not released yet, am I right?

Feb 26, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 9
TF10 isolation, in my experience, really depends on your fit, especially if you want to use the silicone tips. For me, the mid-sized ones fit me really well and I cannot hear people talking to me even with the music at a relatively low volume. I can still hear loud claps or really raised voices. The Comply tips (also included) fit much better, and isolate better but they're also more expensive. I don't use them much as I guess I'm saving them for a special occasion like a long plane or train ride.

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 9
umm i am always confused on that question but lets just say any and all but mostly with alot of vocals. I feel like going for IE7 as i read they only lack in bass compared to IE8 which seem to produce "lush" sounds.
Please help me decide between IE7, Phonak PFE and TF10
which one has the best isolation?
Which has the best sound stage?
any other last minute suggestions for me besed on isolation and soundstage/ imaging....i am raising my budget to $300!

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 9
Just get the IE7, after a good burn-in period (200hr+) everything starts to balance out, which makes it a great monitor for all types of music. Isolation isn't great, but it's more than enough once the music is playing. I'm also a college student and I take them everywhere, and have yet to encounter a situation where I'm not contempt with the given isolation. Not to mention the soundstage is huge! I would also recommend flac filed music, although it's not necessary. Give them a try and you'll be in love with them after the basic burn-in :)

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 9
^
I don't believe in "blow out off the water" when it comes to sound,but the TF10's blow the IE7 out off the water. It does what the IE7s can do,but MILES better. IMO,the Triple Fi 10s are on par with the IE8s but are not all bass but is a good all arounder. It's more of like a battle between the Triple Fi 10's and the IE8 which comes to preference.

Feb 27, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #9 of 9
okay so now I am a bit more confused! But I'll try to simplify it. Can u suggest which one of TF10 or phonak pfe have better sound stage, isolation and less fit issues? I've kinda small ears
I now think there is no point getting IE7 since they were released so far back in time. Also, any update on re262? Are they for sale anywhere...their reviews seem stellar!
Thanks for the help guys!
One more question, what's the difference between TF10's in a black box VS the blue/clear on top, box?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back