Need help in choosing new headset primarly for gaming and listening to music
Mar 15, 2014 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Grach

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I've purchased a the Logitech G35 about two years ago, and today one the of cans finally broke and cannot be fixed(at least from what I tried).
So I've decided it might be a good time to buy a new headset. I've read that "Gaming" headsets tend to be overpriced for their actual sound quality, so I figured it would be better to invest in a good pair of cans and buy a separate mic for Skype and stuff.
My budget ranges from 80$ to 140$. By the way, I don't live in the US so not all headphones may be available in my country.
I need a headset that would be good for gaming and mostly metal music, also I think I should note that I use an equalizer on almost any audio device that I use(whether it be Foobar 2000 or my Sansa Clip+) and usually raise the highs and lows, and lower the mids, if that matters.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 22
For your preferences (V shaped) you'd probably like the Beyerdynamic DT990. It's probably a bit over your budget though.

Mar 15, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 22

Yeah.. definitely over my budget.
I looked around a bit, and saw the Audio Technica ATH-M30(the M50 are over my budget). Are they any good?(for my needs that is)

What country do you live in? Can you link a website so we can get an idea of prices?

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 22
  What country do you live in? Can you link a website so we can get an idea of prices?

I live in Israel.
This website has pretty much all the headphones that are available in the country: http://www.zap.co.il/models.aspx?sog=e-headphone
Though you may want to use Google for translation since the website doesn't have an English version unfortunately.
I appreciate the help!

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 22
That site's prices are pretty insane (at the high end). It has a good selection but . . . Is there no way to have a friend or relative bring it to you from America or Europe? Another idea is eBay, Germany or UK.

I looked it through it carefully and here are some to consider:

HD202 or HD202-II, listed as HD202-2
Pioneer SEA1000
ATH-M30
K518 (on ear)

I haven't heard all of them, but at least they're all decent models from established firms. So use that as a starting point to ask questions on the respective threads if guys here don't have enough input. Gentlemen?

If I had to choose one based on your preferred sound and genres, I'd go with HD202-II. Although I often disagree with Headfonia, I can say that this review is on target: http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd-202-review/.

Mar 16, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #7 of 22
  That site's prices are pretty insane (at the high end). It has a good selection but . . . Is there no way to have a friend or relative bring it to you from America or Europe? Another idea is eBay, Germany or UK.

I looked it through it carefully and here are some to consider:

HD202 or HD202-II, listed as HD202-2
Pioneer SEA1000
ATH-M30
K518 (on ear)

I haven't heard all of them, but at least they're all decent models from established firms. So use that as a starting point to ask questions on the respective threads if guys here don't have enough input. Gentlemen?

If I had to choose one based on your preferred sound and genres, I'd go with HD202-II. Although I often disagree with Headfonia, I can say that this review is on target: http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd-202-review/.

Well, I bought my G35s from eBay. The reason I want to buy headphones from a store in Israel is so that I could get warranty on them, but yeah, I agree the prices are quite high(which is why I didn't buy the G35s in Israel where they cost around 200$, and instead got them from eBay for around 140$).
If the headphones really do worth the price, then I'll consider ordering them online.
I'll definitely check out the models you posted. Also, can you post a link to said respective threads? I'm new here and not too familiar with the forum.

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 22

Well, I bought my G35s from eBay. The reason I want to buy headphones from a store in Israel is so that I could get warranty on them, but yeah, I agree the prices are quite high(which is why I didn't buy the G35s in Israel where they cost around 200$, and instead got them from eBay for around 140$).
If the headphones really do worth the price, then I'll consider ordering them online.
I'll definitely check out the models you posted. Also, can you post a link to said respective threads? I'm new here and not too familiar with the forum.

That's a good point about the warranty. If it's a major firm, they really ought to cover you internationally regardless country of purchase. I would call / e-mail them about it.

Here's what I could find quickly: http://www.head-fi.org/t/670454/pioneer-se-a1000-appreciation-club-sennheiser-hd-650-for-45 and http://www.head-fi.org/t/551801/akg-k81-518-dj-le-thread-and-reviewYou can find many more threads and reviews using the search bar below the tabs.

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #10 of 22
Mar 16, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #12 of 22

That's a good point about the warranty. If it's a major firm, they really ought to cover you internationally regardless country of purchase. I would call / e-mail them about it.

Here's what I could find quickly: http://www.head-fi.org/t/670454/pioneer-se-a1000-appreciation-club-sennheiser-hd-650-for-45 and http://www.head-fi.org/t/551801/akg-k81-518-dj-le-thread-and-reviewYou can find many more threads and reviews using the search bar below the tabs.

Even if the firm allows me to use the warranty I'd rather not mess around with shipping.
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.
And again, I really appreciate the help! Have a nice day!

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #13 of 22
Even if the firm allows me to use the warranty I'd rather not mess around with shipping.
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.
And again, I really appreciate the help! Have a nice day!

Is there no other place you can buy headphones than that site you posted? The prices are waaaaay to high and i honestly would just pay for shipping in case you need to RMA than pay those outrageous prices.

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #14 of 22
Is there no other place you can buy headphones than that site you posted? The prices are waaaaay to high and i honestly would just pay for shipping in case you need to RMA than pay those outrageous prices.

That site basically lists all the headphones that are sold in all stores across Israel.
The thing is, that I want to have the warranty and know that if my headphones break I can RMA them and get new ones. But then again usually the warranty lasts for about a year and my G35s broke after almost two years.. So I guess I'm open for suggestions.

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #15 of 22
So long as you buy from a major brand, most often it's the cable that goes bad and not the driver. I'm sure Israel has plenty of DIYers who can fix it if there's a problem with the cable. So I'd definitely think about ordering a new product from a major firm abroad and having someone bring it over. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back