Need help in choosing cheap Over-ear headphone (Takstar HI2050, Pro80, Somic mh463, EFI-82 MT)
Mar 8, 2014 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gecko92

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I've been lurking this forum for quite some time, but I haven't found a precise answer to my problem, so I decided to ask it here 
smile.gif
I'd like to buy a new pair of over-ear headphones for use at home. I plan on using them mainly for music and for some pc gaming.
Initially I was interested in the Brainwavz HM5 (or the Jaycar clone), but its lack of bass made me look for alternatives. That's when I found the Somics (mh463 and EFI82-MT), which seem to be a fantastic bargain, but I also found the Takstars (HI2050 and Pro80) which are also considered as awesome cheap headphones. The problem is that I don't know which one of these 4 I should choose.
Can anybody compare these?

The headphones in my possession are:
-Creative Aurvana Live! - I like them a lot, but its pads are a tad too small for my ears
-My brother's Denon D1100 - I find them too bassy and uncomfortable
-V-moda M80 - I find them perfect for portable use.

As you can see, all my headphones are closed back, so I'm inclined to buy a pair of open ones, so the mh463 or the hi2050, but I've read that the closed ones, the EFI-82 MT and the Pro80, are considered by some people better than the previous 2.

I mainly listen to rock, but sometimes I also listen to electronica and symphonic music. I like the bass on the CALs but if there were less of it I'd be happy anyway.

I'm not going to do any mods on them, except for changing the earpads (Turtle Beach for the mh463 and HM5 for the EFIs), and I have a big head (I can barely fit my v-modas).

If anyone has a better solution without spending much more I'l be glad to listen. I am from Italy, so some headphones might not be convenient to import or they cannot be bought here.

Thanks 
smile.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 6
Pro 80's are great for rock and should be an improvement on clarity and detail from the CAL's but they can be a little too fatiguing bright/sharp sounding although that probably depends on how long and how loud you listen to them.

Mar 9, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #3 of 6
Then I'm afraid the Pro80 are not for me, since I am quite sensitive to bright/sharp sounds.
From what I've read, the Somics seem to be better in SQ than the Takstars, but the Takstars are more comfortable.
I usually listen to music for max. 1-2 hours at medium-high volume.
I'm leaning towards the Somics now, the EFI-82 MT in particular. I might get these with the Shure 840 pads...

Mar 9, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 6
Initially I was interested in the Brainwavz HM5 (or the Jaycar clone), but its lack of bass made me look for alternatives.

I like the bass on the CALs but if there were less of it I'd be happy anyway.

FYI: The HM5s do not lack bass. As a neutral sounding headphone, they simply lack bass emphasis and are known for having deep bass extension. Given that you'd be happy with less bass than the CALs, I would not rule them out unless you are sure that a more neutral headphone response is not for you (i.e. you are certain you are a basshead). Especially since the NVX XPT100 suit your budget very well. You can always EQ in some bass emphasis with your media player.

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 6
FYI: The HM5s do not lack bass. As a neutral sounding headphone, they simply lack bass emphasis and are known for having deep bass extension. Given that you'd be happy with less bass than the CALs, I would not rule them out unless you are sure that a more neutral headphone response is not for you (i.e. you are certain you are a basshead). Especially since the NVX XPT100 suit your budget very well. You can always EQ in some bass emphasis with your media player.

Thanks for the answer.
I have looked around the internet and I can't find a good place where to buy the NVXs, it looks like they are sold only in the US, and I live in Italy. Importing them would cost me about 80-90€, without considering possible import duties. As for the other clones, the Jaycars are the most convenient: I can get them for ~40€ shipped from australia (and import duties should be less than 15€). All the others are above 90-100€.

But, according to some people on the forums, the Somic EFI-82 MT seem to be better than the HM5s. I can get these and the shure 840 pads for about 50-60€ considering possible import taxes. It's about the same money as the Jaycars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back