Need help in choosing an USB Audio Interface/Sound Card
Dec 20, 2009 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

asmileforyou

New Head-Fier
Hello guys. I've got a MSI notebook which has the integrated ALC888 codec. I found out (by listening to my personal collection of lossless music and by doing an RMAA test) that my current (integrated) sound card isn't enough for both my headphones and speakers.
Now I want to buy an USB audio card so that I will enjoy the same (better) sound quality wherever I'll go.
I've searched the internet, read some reviews and looked over some RMAA tests.
Until now, I've found two USB sound cards. The first one is M-Audio Transit, which by RMAA tests has an almost flat frequency response and I tend to believe that will offer me a nice sound given my speakers and my headphones.
The other option I've found is the Creative X-FI Surround 5.1 USB sound card, which proved under the Transit regarding sound quality, but has a lower price tag.
My budget is limited at about 120$.

My speakers and headphones are:

Headphones: Grado SR60i.
Speakers: Altec Lansing MX5021.

Which one from above card would you guys recommend me ? If you know other solutions that I am unaware of, please post them. I am open to other sound card as well. Thanks for your time
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 8
Almost any modern soudncard will measure flat when tested for FR...
You may have to go for an external "soundcard" as you don't really have the budget for an external DAC and amp combination. Many external interfaces are built for recording audio so check those type of companies, M-Audio, EMU, Infrasonic..etc.

Dec 20, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 8
I have never tested that unit but have heard good things about it.
I know many around here have said the EMU 0404 is a good interface but I am unsure if it is a bit above your price range which is a bit low for an external device.
Have a look here: EMU0404 I am really unsure what to recommend to you for an external unit considering your price range. The 0404USB may be out of your price range
The AMON USB interface is about $150 IIRC. Have a look here: AMON USB
You can look through the used gear section also perhaps somebody has something you might be interested in.

Are you looking for other features or do you just want a USB DAC or DAC and Amp?

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 8
The main purpose for the external USB sound card will be music playback. I do not intend to do recordings, so that will be let's say a bonus feature for me, but I mainly want a clear (better resolution, fidelity) playback of lossless audio. I am sure that my on-board audio is the limiting factor for my Altec Lansing MX5021 and Grado SR60i. I also want a sound card that can drive well my Grado headphones.
For now, I can only get the M-Audio Transit or Creative X-FI Surround USB...but I think the Transit outperforms the X-FI Surround USB.
The EMU0202 is over my budget, and the EMU0404 is way beyond it.
I live in Romania and here the EMU0404 is over 250$.
From what I've heard and read on other forums, the Transit seems to be over any Creative audio card on USB or PCMCIA/Express Card slot.

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 8
I recommended recording interfaces because in most cases they will surpass dvices meant for other tasks. Seems like where you are, you are suffering from price markeup.
The Transit seems good based on information, if it is within your budget great. Just make sure the place has a return policy so you can test it out but have the option to return it if it is not what your after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back