Need Help in Choosing a 2.0/2.1 Speaker System under $150/£100
Jan 14, 2013 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bigme

New Head-Fier
Hi! 
biggrin.gif

So my crapptechs just decided to die on me a few days ago, located the problem, and it was in the transformer. one of the wierd yellow circular components had fried. Anyways. Enough of crappytechs. 
size]

I'm planning to get speakers around the $150/£100 mark, and I have been looking around the web and people seem to be recommending the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX blah blah blah, the HiVi Swan M10s, M-Audio AV40s and.. that's basically all I can find. I'm not looking to go into monitor speakersbecause a) I don't have an amp - well not for speakers at least, b) I'm a student so I don't have a lot of money to spend hence I'm not going to be spending another $300/£200 on a nice sub (how unfortunate). On the other hand, I've also been looking lower the price range and saw the Trust Tytan 2.1s (selling for £50 on amazon.co.uk) and they interest me quite a bit. 

I'm just planning to listen to music (I listen to a mix between house music, dance/electronic, acoustics, rock, oldies = basically everything), the occasional gaming session. I do care about the quality of the sound coming out of my speakers, quality over quantity for me. Same goes with bass even though there are some days where I prefer a lot of bass... like wall shaking bass. 
size]

Which one of the 3 do you think I should be getting? Or if you have any other suggestions I'm more than welcome to see/hear it 
size]

One last thing, I'm based in the UK so my choice of speakers are different/aren't as great as you lot in N. America. 
size]

Thanks for the help in advance!! 
bigme 
beerchug.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 12
Really? 
confused.gif

I'm sure there're others that sound a bit better than that.. I've heard them at my mate's house out of all fairness at £89 it might be worth it but still pushing it for its price/performance ratio.

On another note I get a larger budget so now I can spend £150!! courtesy of my other half.. :D 
darthsmile.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 12
I think that the best way to buy speakers on a budget is to go to eBay.

I recommend a nice pair of bookshelf speakers and an amplifier.

Zillions of these speakers have been made over the past few decades and every single pair of them will sound better than those speakers sold for desktop use.

As there are so many of these little bookshelf speakers you will be able to get them very cheaply.

It is the same with the amplifier, a budget amp, even just a few years old from a good recognised brand can be had very cheaply.

If you wish to play music then I think it is extremely unlikely that the 2.1 systems (the ones with a "sub") will sound any good because the cross-over for those is usually very high in the audio spectrum, the "sub" is really just playing lower mid. The very high frequency for the cross-over is sonically a disaster really.

A nice pair of bookshelf speakers and amp from eBay will sound better by many miles.

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
I think that the best way to buy speakers on a budget is to go to eBay.

I recommend a nice pair of bookshelf speakers and an amplifier.

Zillions of these speakers have been made over the past few decades and every single pair of them will sound better than those speakers sold for desktop use.

As there are so many of these little bookshelf speakers you will be able to get them very cheaply.

It is the same with the amplifier, a budget amp, even just a few years old from a good recognised brand can be had very cheaply.

If you wish to play music then I think it is extremely unlikely that the 2.1 systems (the ones with a "sub") will sound any good because the cross-over for those is usually very high in the audio spectrum, the "sub" is really just playing lower mid. The very high frequency for the cross-over is sonically a disaster really.

A nice pair of bookshelf speakers and amp from eBay will sound better by many miles.

Is there any that you can recommend off the top of your head? i am literally clueless about the hifi world... I only know a tiny bit about them.. as far as there are brands such as '~~~', '~~~' and stuff like that. Nothing about individual products.
On the other hand, I don't have a lot of space, hence i'm not keen on a hi-fi system, I only have a 100 sqft bedroom for the 2 of us, which is where I plan to place these speakers on a 4 foot wide table :D
Space? I'd love to have more, but $$$.
I mean i'd love to see the hifi system work with current restrictions in my room :frowning2:

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 12
What about desktop footprint? Monitor speakers tend to be quite massive. I still prefer the soundsticks but it's your money. Check this one too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audioengine-multimedia-speakers-Total-high-gloss/dp/B000VKEFMS/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1358288031&sr=1-7

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #7 of 12
Desktop footprint is what im' most afraid of... A 4 feet wide table isn't really all that wide.
problem with audioengine 2s is that without the amp/receiver (whatever you call it) its kind of past my budget!!

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 12
You don't need an amp for the audioengine 2, they are active speakers ( The amp is inside the case, the same with PC speakers) so nothing to worry about. Again, nothing will beat the soundsticks price. I don't know how's the market over there, maybe you could try looking for DJ active speakers.

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #9 of 12
Ahh... Sorry :p should've done my research :D
I guess that's good in terms of space saving :D
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1311937
M10 is better than A2? Not too sure, hope that's not a fanboy page :p

edit: Forgot to mentiont hat my desk isn't very deep (has a lot of depth) either, so big 2.0 monitors won't work. So its pretty much down to the M10 and the A2s, though A2 does take up less space, im' thinking that I can stick the M10's midwoofer underneath my monitor and replace it as a stand... and sats either side. Hope that'll work. I'm biting the bullet  the M10.

Thanks to Squallkiercosa for helping me out and giving me ideas... Proper speakers next, I promise!!

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Is there any that you can recommend off the top of your head? i am literally clueless about the hifi world... I only know a tiny bit about them.. as far as there are brands such as '~~~', '~~~' and stuff like that. Nothing about individual products.
On the other hand, I don't have a lot of space, hence i'm not keen on a hi-fi system, I only have a 100 sqft bedroom for the 2 of us, which is where I plan to place these speakers on a 4 foot wide table :D
Space? I'd love to have more, but $$$.
I mean i'd love to see the hifi system work with current restrictions in my room :frowning2:

I can't recommend off the top of my head because there are so many.

However given your space constraints it might be easier for you to buy one of the new speaker systems that you originally intended which will suit small spaces more easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back