Need help in building a dedicated music server!
May 11, 2009 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Squirsier

500+ Head-Fier
Greetings
smily_headphones1.gif

So lately I've been thinking of building a "cheap", dedicated music server that would also double as my Skype "phone" (I have Skype/Regular Phone headsets that I use for calls).

I will be using iTunes and use my iPod Touch to Remotely control it. I'm also thinking of re-ripping most of my CDs to ALAC ; I calculated I would need around 280gb of space for all of them, but I would not necessarily re-rip them all (ie, 2 stars and less, are gone).

Right now, I am thinking of getting a Dell Studio Hybrid. The one with 320gb of space should be fine. What bugs me is this : at the moment, I am using a Predator Amp as a DAC thru my laptop. I would really, really like to have something that would feature multiple headphone outs with volume control, as this unit from Behringer... :

Amazon.com: Behringer Miniamp AMP800 Ultra-Compact 4-Channel Stereo Headphone Amplifier: Electronics

... but feature a DAC with either USB/Digital Input.

Main reason is, me and my girl like different headphones and definitly do not listen at the same level, but do enjoy the same music...

This idea of a setup is in its infancy, so I still got time to figure things out... Any thoughts?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 16
Are you shooting for a headless server? The Touch/iPhone Remote app is cool, I grant you, but unless you tie a network streamer into the mix you still have to be at the computer to listen. The Dell Studio Hybrid doesn't strike me as an especially cheap solution, if iTunes is all you need to run. And unless you're done buying CDs, I'd plan for a much bigger hard drive--no reason to cut it so close.

May 12, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishpatrol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you shooting for a headless server? The Touch/iPhone Remote app is cool, I grant you, but unless you tie a network streamer into the mix you still have to be at the computer to listen. The Dell Studio Hybrid doesn't strike me as an especially cheap solution, if iTunes is all you need to run. And unless you're done buying CDs, I'd plan for a much bigger hard drive--no reason to cut it so close.

I could always hook up an external HD eventually, but yeah, the Studio Hybrid isn't very cheap. Honestly at first I was going with a PC featuring a 1tb HD, but in a small-form factor, I think the biggest I can do right now is 500gb...

"Headless" server, not sure what it means? If we're talking about screenless - I have a 22 inch LCD TV that has an unused hdmi input (another reason I was thinking of the Studio Hybrid).

I guess I really want something as silent as possible too. It's impossible to have a full desktop running all the time down here because it gets WAY too warm during the summer, and I have no way to hook up an AC (unless I go for a portable one, which is pretty expensive).

There's the possibility of a laptop too. Probably less expensive in the end...

Thanks for the input
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by YGingras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I you want to stream to the office and to a few friends, bandwidth and hosting would be more a a concern. Have you considered renting a virtual private server from linode or form slicehost?

At the moment, streaming outside of my network is not an issue, but we'll see. If WMP will be streamable, I'm guessing it's a matter of time before iTunes let's you do this outside of your own private network... I'll keep that in mind
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 16
Headless=screenless, yes. Do you want it to turn into an HTPC, is where I'm headed? That would need to be capable of some heavy lifting. If you just want it for audio playback, one of these Atom-based net-tops should do. That's still in the $300-$500, especially once you add on some storage space, getting into the range of a "real" computer. I dig the low-power route. Would a couple-years-old laptop fit? I take it you're looking for a Windows box and not a Mac?

May 12, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 16
Oh, and Simplify Media does pretty solid streaming outside of the home. Easy enough to set up just out of curiosity. Especially if you already have an iPod Touch in the mix. New apps are about all iTunes gift cards are worth, in my book.

May 12, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishpatrol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headless=screenless, yes. Do you want it to turn into an HTPC, is where I'm headed? That would need to be capable of some heavy lifting. If you just want it for audio playback, one of these Atom-based net-tops should do. That's still in the $300-$500, especially once you add on some storage space, getting into the range of a "real" computer. I dig the low-power route. Would a couple-years-old laptop fit? I take it you're looking for a Windows box and not a Mac?

See, that's why I was thinking about the Studio Hybrid. One of its option (tho expensive) is a blu-ray drive. Coupled with its hdmi out... I could always hook it up to my HDTV (there's the screen) and go wireless for keyboard/mouse. But most of the time, it would simply be used for iTunes streaming on the server, and Skype (which is why I can't use Mac ; my Skype phone has no OSX drivers).

I'm curious if I still could get a laptop with blu-ray drive for cheaper, or I might as well get a PC and a separate blu-ray player...

May 12, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 16
I took an old Shuttle XPC I had laying around, installed Ubuntu Server on it, and threw in two 1tb HDD's. All of my media is stored there.

All of my computers running iTunes default to my media server instead of their local hard drives. this means I can import media from any computer in the house, and it is accessible through any other PC's iTunes.

I'm running SqueezeCenter as well, so my SqueezeBox on the home stereo has access to all of that media.

I can network into this box from anywhere in the world and have full unbridled access to all of my media as long as I have an internet connection.

May 12, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 16
I have a 1T hard drive connected to an old iBookG4 running iTunes connected to my stereo system with the Compass. pretty good actually. and cheap.

May 12, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 16
I recycled an old Dell laptop into a music server as well. It was so old it did not even have a USB port. I added 2, using a USB card, and maxed out the RAM. Loaded a fresh copy of XP pro, EAC, Asio drivers, and Media Monkey. I run mine into a Audio-GD Compass DAC/Amp combo with Great results. The 30 gb internal stores all the software and OS, and an external 1TB holds the music. My only complaint is that I can't rip CD's and listen at the same time, and the fan is kinda loud.

I have been thinking of throwing together a small form factor HTPC, but without a graphics card for now, to use as a quiet music server. This would be very quiet, small, and optionally you can use either vertical or horizontal orientation. It can be done, if you put it together yourself, for under $300.

Here is the build I am thinking about. Prices from Newegg.com

Case IN-Win BK623 $65
Motherboard Gigabeat GA-G31M-ES2L $53
CPU Intel Pentium Duo E5200 $70 or combo with the board for $113
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB $75
Optical drive LG DVD-ROM/CD-ROM $16
Memory G. Skills 2 gb 240 pin DDR2 $28

Comes to $297, but you might also need a few cables and such. The case comes with a top quality PSU, and is designed to work with the stock CPU cooler, which comes with the E5200, and its expandible with 4 full size PCI slots and room for a second hardrive. Assumes you have a copy of your favorite operating system, or use a free one, and screen/keyboard/mouse, otherwise those will push you up to around $500-600.

Won't be blazing fast by todays standards but more than enough for a music server. Note: the E5200 overclocks well if you ever need a little more performance, but that would need a better CPU cooler.

Good luck whatever you decide on.

Mark

May 12, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 16
Thanks for all the info guys!

I am listening right now to an album I ripped in ALAC on another computer at home, thru iTunes' shared libraries, and it works great! Is there a way I can see the album artwork on my side tho? Usually makes browsing thru the library that much easier!

rx7mark , nice case. Silent too, as you said, thanks for the parts list, I'm definitely going to look into those. I have a friend who builds PC, so I'll give him the specs, see what he can come up with!

driftingbunnies, I'll keep that in mind when I decide to get a PC blu-ray drive or an external player, thanks!

TheRobbStory, love your setup
biggrin.gif

Thanks again guys, will keep you updated on what I'll decide to do
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Here is the build I am thinking about. Prices from Newegg.com

Case IN-Win BK623 $65
Motherboard Gigabeat GA-G31M-ES2L $53
CPU Intel Pentium Duo E5200 $70 or combo with the board for $113
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB $75
Optical drive LG DVD-ROM/CD-ROM $16
Memory G. Skills 2 gb 240 pin DDR2 $28

Blacks are performance drives. You want green version

May 12, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blacks are performance drives. You want green version

Thanks for the tip
smily_headphones1.gif

On another note, I might have fixed my dual output amp with separate volume control dilemma. There is an App for the iPhone/iTouch called Simplify Music that will stream your library from iTunes to your iPod. We could just stream the same music but using our seperate players with our own fav headphones. It also fixes the "portability around the house" issue, as we wouldn't have to be on the computer to stream music... hmmmm Anyone used that App?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back