Need help identifying DT 770 pro model (32 or 80 ohm)
Dec 28, 2011 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sANDEKERU

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I recently purchased a DT 770pro for my mother for christmas, and she was going to use it for her stereo and laptop, so I decided to get the 32ohm model.
They sounded very underwhelming on the laptop, and I noticed I had received the headphones in a box that said "DT 770 Pro 80 ohm".

I contacted the webshop, and they claim they use the same boxes for both the 32ohm and the 80ohm models. (convenient, huh?)
The brochure in the packaging only mentioned the 250ohm and the 80 ohm versions of the headphone.

Is there any way to identify wether this is a 32ohm or 80 ohm model? I allready checked the headphones themselves, but there are no markings indicating what model it is, except for being made in germany and being a DT 770 Pro.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 7
You can tell using the resistance setting on a multimeter.  Touch the negative probe to the sleeve of the plug and touch the positive probe to the tip.  It should tell you how many ohms.

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 7
Strange, I have a pair of DT770 Pro-80's right here, and they say "2 X 80Ω" right above the metal yokes (y-shaped pieces) holding the ear cups on the headband, as well as either right or left indicating the channel.

EDIT:  Wait, I though the Pro model only came in 80 and 250 ohm models?  There is no such thing as a DT770 Pro-32.

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 7
Screw it, double post...

Do you actually have a Pro version or the consumer version?  They look completely different.

Pro Version:

Consumer Version:

The Pro version only comes in 80-Ohm and 250-Ohm models, while the consumer version comes in 32-Ohm impedance.

A multimeter is not needed to tell these apart.  If you have the pro, it is most likely the 80 version.  If you have the consumer version, it is the 32-Ohm version.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the replies guys,

I have the pro version, and the only listed models in the brochure were 250 and 80. (allthough webshops with the same supplier lists they have a pro 32ohm version http://www.prisguide.no/sok?pg-q=dt+770+pro+32ohm&n=0 )

I think I have a multimeter lying about, and I'll see if I can't measure them tommorow.

I also tested them on my xonar stx, and they were p hard to drive for 32ohm headphones.

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 7
Seems it was just a custom order thingy, it was actually 32ohm when I measured it.

Thanks for the response, I guess I'll have to get a halfdecent USB soundcard for the laptop.

Jan 7, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #7 of 7
yeah how hard headphones are to drive is more than just impedance, you have to look at driver efficiency as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back