Need help identifying a GZ34 tube
May 17, 2007 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dfkt

Headphoneus Supremus
I can get a (reasonable priced) GZ34 tube from a friend who doesn't know much about tubes (very much like me). It would be a replacement rectifier for my Woo Audio 6 amp.

The tube reads following codes:

BNH4
F32
B1H4

Could anyone tell me the manufacturer/year of this GZ34? Or direct me to a link with the relevant tube codes? I did a Google search but didn't come up with anything useful. Thanks for any help!

May 17, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 16
F32 is a mullard code for GZ34. The tube was made in the UK by Mullard during the fourth week of August, 1971.

May 17, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #7 of 16
Thanks for your reply. I'm also looking for rectifiers for my woo 6. It's too bad 200-400 is a lil out of my price range.
frown.gif

May 17, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #8 of 16
Mullard GZ34 is certainly good quality.

It won't be a metal base as they were only made in the 1950's.

May 17, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 16
both 1950's Mullard & Amperex Metal base were made by Philips with Philips codes. the early big brown or black base Mullard is the second best on the list. Some people may prefer the mullard.

May 24, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #10 of 16
May 24, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #12 of 16
judging by the pins only it certainly looks used...a good look at the top of the silver flashing may help...if you see dark spots or burn marks in the silver flash it probably means well worn...if you don't see much silver flashing-> well worn...if the top silver flashing looks opaque and transparent-> well worn...

maybe you should take it to a small t.v. repair shop and ask them to test it for you, for a small fee...it's the only sure-fire way of knowing how much more life it has left...

May 24, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
judging by the pins only it certainly looks used...a good look at the top of the silver flashing may help...if you see dark spots or burn marks in the silver flash it probably means well worn...if you don't see much silver flashing-> well worn...if the top silver flashing looks opaque and transparent-> well worn...

maybe you should take it to a small t.v. repair shop and ask them to test it for you, for a small fee...it's the only sure-fire way of knowing how much more life it has left...

Hmm its packed away for shipping now, but its in the original box so i doubt very much its been used. silver was as far as i remember perfect. the pins have to colors, split in two, that mgight be what gives it that look.
anyways, he's not paying anything up front so its all good
wink.gif

edit: opened a bit and looked. silver on top of the tube is totally fine, no spots whatsoever from what i can see

May 31, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got the tube now, and it looks good to me. No spots, burn marks, or anything I could discern - but OTOH, this is the first tube I got, besides the stock tubes my Woo6 came with.

The pins look like they're half covered in solder - don't know if that was a common practice in the days of yore. Some of the parts inside the tube don't look well aligned, some pretty awkward angles where some of the connections meet, and the top and bottom plates aren't really well aligned either. Don't know if that shows anything.

Here are some macro photos I took, hope they show some of the relevant parts.

Click on the thumbnails for bigger photos (1600x1200):

May 31, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #15 of 16
That was one of the last types made. The serrated edge is what they used in the last production types. The serrated edge with less notches was earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back