Need help / ideas on a hi-fi setup
Mar 1, 2015 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jelome1989

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've had a few mid-end portable headphones (Senn HD25/Amperiors, Audio Tech M50s, Grado 325is, etc) for quite a while now, and although they sound very different compared to each other, I can't really notice any significant difference in terms of sound quality. I mean is that if I am to pick one over the other, I can't really choose/have a clear winner (though my fav setup is iPod/J3 -> Fiio E11 -> HD25/Amperior). In my ears, they all sound great and pretty much at the same level. 

So I think it's time to take it to the next level but I want to be really sure if I have to, so I need your help in answering these questions.

Now, if I do upgrade:
What will I get?
Will the high-end cans blow these out of the water? I mean do I get the same feeling the first time I upgraded to M50 from some generic in ear hps/stock Apple Earbuds? (You know, like the first time you put it on, you immediately trash the old HP) Can I get a good setup around 1.5k-2k USD? 

Summary: I'm not picky as to the sound signature of the headphone, as long as it's not on the extreme side, like incredibly peaky treble or bloated bass, what I want is that convincing feeling that "this HP clearly beats this HP" OVERALL. Is there such a setup in my case?
(and bear with me, use simple words please, I'm not particularly good in describing/understanding sound)

Thanks!

EDIT: I listen to pretty much every genre of music, from rock and R&B to classical and acoustic

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 9
No one can tell you that headphone X will "blow these out of the water" since that is a subjective evaluation that is based on personal preferences.

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 9
So then it's really all about the sound signature? But would that be on the extreme side? I mean, surely a properly amped HD650 would beat a $10 hp? 
Well maybe the "blow these out of the water" thing is too strict. Will changing to an "upgrade" provide more leeway?

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 9
So then it's really all about the sound signature? But would that be on the extreme side? I mean, surely a properly amped HD650 would beat a $10 hp? 

Sure. But you have some good headphones already, and spending more on audio equipment almost always provides diminishing returns.

Best bet is to try to find a place to listen to some hi end headphones :)

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 9
Yeah if you want us to help you find a headphone for your taste you need to be able to describe the soundsiganture you like.

I guess you could start by looking at this:

http://www.headfonia.com/a-guide-to-headphones/

http://www.headfonia.com/faq/

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 9
I felt that the Focal Spirit Professional ($349) was a major upgrade from all the other headphones I'd heard in the $20-400 range. It doesn't need an amp either. The main downside is that it feels a little closed-in, since it's not open-back. Although it fits me perfectly, those with larger heads and ears may have comfort problems.

If you want a clear step up into high-end territory without having to spend anywhere near as much as what you listed, check out the STAX SRS-2170 electrostatic system. It consists of the SR-207 headphones and SRM-252S amp. The US retail price is $790, but it can be imported from Japan for under $400. You would also need a voltage transformer.

Those are just a few options, though. Read this guide to get a better grasp of high-end headphones.

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #9 of 9

Yeah if you want us to help you find a headphone for your taste you need to be able to describe the soundsiganture you like.

I guess you could start by looking at this:

http://www.headfonia.com/a-guide-to-headphones/

http://www.headfonia.com/faq/

I felt that the Focal Spirit Professional ($349) was a major upgrade from all the other headphones I'd heard in the $20-400 range. It doesn't need an amp either. The main downside is that it feels a little closed-in, since it's not open-back. Although it fits me perfectly, those with larger heads and ears may have comfort problems.

If you want a clear step up into high-end territory without having to spend anywhere near as much as what you listed, check out the STAX SRS-2170 electrostatic system. It consists of the SR-207 headphones and SRM-252S amp. The US retail price is $790, but it can be imported from Japan for under $400. You would also need a voltage transformer.

Those are just a few options, though. Read this guide to get a better grasp of high-end headphones.

Alright many thanks to all of you. I'll check them out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back