Need Help, i want more of this! (Acid Jazz, drum & basse, i don't know what)
Apr 27, 2008 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

skaos

Head-Fier
A couple of months ago, i was reading one of those "songs-that-make-my-headphones-sound-as-good-as-they'r-expensive" threads, and someone sugested Venetian snares , a song "Hajnal" from the album Rossz csillag alatt született.
Wich i recomend everyone to listen.
Altough i listen mostly to (Rock, Punk, and Ska) < 1980, i just loved that song.
I loved the contrast beetween the violins and then the explosion of bass and distorcion with all it's agressivity.

So here's the part i ask for your recomendations.
More of the kind!
Thanks!

Apr 29, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 12
You're looking for more stuff similar to Vsnares? Are you looking for music with big breaks and orchestral pieces or just music we recommend in general?

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 12
Nothing sounds exactly like that album, that's more or less what makes it special.
smily_headphones1.gif

You might like some of Amon Tobin's faster stuff...he uses all manners of instruments, although it never has an 'orchestral' feel to it. Digitonal has more of the orchestral feel, but it tends to be slow, melodic and lush, nothing like the insanity that VSnares indulges in.

For some good fast drum'n'bass, check out Noisia, Teebee, DJ Hidden and Dom & Roland. Some of their tracks sample strings, although I can't recall which ones.

If you liked the frenetic rhythm aspect of the music, venture further by listening to Xanopticon, and if you're feeling REALLY brave, Bong Ra. At some point, you'll probably decide that it's too much, too fast. Don't worry; this is normal.
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPatcH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're looking for more stuff similar to Vsnares? Are you looking for music with big breaks and orchestral pieces or just music we recommend in general?

A bit of everything!
I just loved Vsnares so much that got my atencion to a whole new kind of music wich i know nothing about
eek.gif

So thanks for all your help, i'l start by cheking MoodySteve's recomendation's (thanks!).
Keep Posting PLEASE

May 8, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 12
For those in the know, is Venetian Snares drum n bass or gabber? and generally found in the electronica genre?

@skaos, Ironically I've been looking for Ska, all I have is the Skatalites: Ball of Fire and I want more, >1990.

Right now I'm on iTunes Radio, dialed into Jungletrain.net, drum&bass 24/7, (iTunes>Radio>Electronic>Jungletrain.net) check it out.

May 8, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those in the know, is Venetian Snares drum n bass or gabber? and generally found in the electronica genre?

If you had to nail a genre to most of Venetian Snares' music, it would probably be breakcore. You can think of breakcore as having the aesthetic of gabber and the basic rhythmic outline of jungle. But gabber tends to be 4.4 and drum'n'bass tends to be dancefloor-oriented.

May 8, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you had to nail a genre to most of Venetian Snares' music, it would probably be breakcore. You can think of breakcore as having the aesthetic of gabber and the basic rhythmic outline of jungle. But gabber tends to be 4.4 and drum'n'bass tends to be dancefloor-oriented.

MoodySteve, thanks, and thank the gods for Wikipedia: Breakcore. I think your assessment of Vsnare is right on.

May 9, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@skaos, Ironically I've been looking for Ska, all I have is the Skatalites: Ball of Fire and I want more, >1990.

Hehe
If you like the skatalites , and want something new that sound's like them, you don't have to many choices i know off!
Try Rotterdam/New York/St. Petersburg ska jazz essemble, there aren't many new bands playing instrumentals only, there are some who play the odd instrumental now and then, butt nothing like the skatalites.
But if you want something pior to the 90's, check Jackie Mitto, soul brothers, and if you want more i'd be glad to help!

May 9, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by skaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i listen mostly to (Rock, Punk, and Ska) < 1980,

skaos; (off topic) you listen Rock, Punk and Ska so you must be a Rancid fan, yes? To me Rancid jams all three components into one tight package.

And thanks for the Ska recommendations.

May 10, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #11 of 12
On Topic:
Been checking some of the stuff recomended.
Amon Tobin's... guess i haven't reached the fast part's yet, cause it seems all so slow, great for relaxing tough!
Noisa... Realy nice fast D&B, butt without the musical feel of VS...
I guess they'r one of a kind, at least i got to find more stuff i liked!
Thanks

Off topic (continuation):
Not realya fan!
I mean, they have stuff i realy love, "radio", "Time Bomb", "Maxwell Murder", "Nihilism", "Salvation", and a few more, butt all the others are all the same!
If you like Rancid, you should check Rancid lead singer Tim Armstrong latest album, recorded with "the Slackers" (to me, the best ska band in the last 10years!), or some of his previous stuff in Operation Ivy, wich is realy raw and great stuff!
Greets!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back