Need help!! I like the Super Fi Pro 5's but...
Nov 3, 2007 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Jessipoo

100+ Head-Fier
I know this may sound really stupid but I don't like the fact that they stick out.. a lot. I thought it wasn't that bad but I took a look here (check the video towards the end when you can see how it looks in her ears straight on)

http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimat..._userguide.php

and you can see how they really stick out. I was also initially afraid they wouldn't fit in my small ears because I heart that was an issue but I've used Sony's MDR-EX51 before and I used both the small and medium tips and I think the Sony's medium tip is the UE's small tip so it's something I could live with.

Ultimately, I love the reviews I read about the sound, overall clear and good (but not overdone) bass.

So I don't know if there are other earphones out there with the same specs (dual drive, overall good sound qlty, mids, highs and good bass) with about the same price range (so Westone UM2 is out of the question).

I have read Denon C700 and Altec Lansing Im716's as well but ultimately it seemed the UE's was the best bang for the buck?

Suggestions? I might just tough it out with the sticking out but I need to make a decision by tonight (or tomorrow max!) so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much guys!

Nov 3, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 36
Jays q-JAYS perhaps? They are perhaps smallest dual armature drivers available, and quite affordable too.

Nov 3, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 36
There is a reverse mod, that will not give you the " Frankenstein" look. A quick search will show you, but basically, reverse the cables, and they will go in.

Nov 3, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 36
I haven't found anywhere that showed the difference in the looks, any links?

I'm assuming it doesn't ruin the sound quality or the fit or anything?

Nov 3, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessipoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't found anywhere that showed the difference in the looks, any links?

I'm assuming it doesn't ruin the sound quality or the fit or anything?

here you go

I personally own a pair of superfi 5 pro's and absolutely love them. I fixed my personal fit issues by using the biflanges. Prior to that however when I used the single flange tips in various sizes, they all fit better in my ears with the flip side mod. The mod itself is extremely quick and simple to do. Hope this helps

Nov 3, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 36
thank you so much! and best of all you can still take advantage of that over the ear thing.

I only hope that the whole earpiece will still fit snugly in my ear.. considering my ears aren't too big (in general.. girl vs guy's ears)

do you have any comments to give on that subject?

do you know if super fi pro 5 sound good and deliver at low volumes (though I'll probably put it at medium volume to drown out the annoying sounds on my commute..)

Found this link via google: (couldn't find it from the site itself)
http://www.ultimateears.com/videos/superfi_mod.htm

Nov 3, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 36
well i've generally been told that I have large ears, so can't comment on that
tongue.gif

But the vast majority of my listening is at low volumes, which is the main reason why I love my superfi's. I tend to use them more than any of my full sized or portable headphones due to the fact that I can enjoy music at low listening levels. This isn't necessarily due to the isolating factor, but moreso to the way that the drivers still provide great sonic impact at low volumes.
etysmile.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 36
I'm almost sold on the super fi.. if any girl or somebody with small ears could comment on the FS mod... that would be greatly appreciated.

I've started reading some comments on the FS mod thread.. but couldn't find any comments about it with people with small ear cups or anything

Nov 4, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 36
Well I ordered the super fi pro 5 yesterday but I still have concerns which won't be resolved til I try em on. I can't wait!!

I read some places that say bass is amazing (and they claim they're bass heads) and then some other places that say it's really flat... I intend on using R&B on my iPod EQ setting so that the treble is crips, the mids and bass are loud but overall the sound is still clear. My current Sony MDR-EX51's sound nice with that setting, but I want the bass to pop a bit more.

Does anybody have experience with the Sony's and that ipod setting to comment?

My other concern is just the size of the tips, because I think I have small ear canals (I fit Sony's small and medium tips)...that I won't know til I really try them on

Thanks guys, you guys are really helpful!

I think I should stop reading reviews, it's messing me up.

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

I read some places that say bass is amazing (and they claim they're bass heads) and then some other places that say it's really flat... I intend on using R&B on my iPod EQ setting so that the treble is crips, the mids and bass are loud but overall the sound is still clear. My current Sony MDR-EX51's sound nice with that setting, but I want the bass to pop a bit more.

Does anybody have experience with the Sony's and that ipod setting to comment?

I do have both phones right now. The EX-51s are nothing compared to the SFP. You'll probably miss the muddy bass the 51s will produce (I used to like it), but that's just at first because when you turn up the volume on the SFP it does have a deep but accurate bass.

I recommend the Acoustic or Classical EQ on the ipod since RnB makes the bass muddy. There will be no treble at all if you put it on the RnB setting. I was used to putting it on Acoustic (which brings out the vocals upfront) but whenever I go ampless Classical does the job well.

At low volumes, the SFP does not shine at all. If we're talking about an ipod that's set to its original volume, I go between 25-50% of its volume which is loud enough due to its sensitivity. 24% and below will be too low to make it shine. Be careful on the first time you'll connect it to your ipod because they're really sensitive.

As for the fit, I don't know if that mod will do it, but I never had a problem with using it the regular way with Medium tips. I have regular sized ears and I always used Medium tips in IEMs (I had at least 4 to date).

Burn in? I don't know, but I liked it out of the box. The bass wouldn't be prominent right away. I waited for at least 3 weeks or maybe I was just listening at low volumes. Just wait it out, but I'm telling you, at low volumes, the phones will not show its bass.

Enjoy your phones.

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 36
The bass on the UE's are a bit stronger than the EX51's right?

what size did you use on the Sony's and what size do you use on the UE?

did you use the classical setting as well with the Sony EX51's?
I use bass booster or R&B setting currently with my EX51's.. how do those 2 EQ's compare directly with the UE?

as for volume.. I don't think I'll use them that low because I mainly use them in public transportation...but I was thinking in quieter situations because I read you don't need to pump the volume up to enjoy the sound from the UE super fi pro 5...

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #13 of 36
The bass on the UE's are a bit stronger than the EX51's right?

- what do you mean by stronger? All I can say is that it's more accurate and it can go DEEP. If you're familiar with Kanye West's Goodlife song, yeap, it can go deep with that song and so as other songs. When the phones are amped, that's a different story
wink.gif

what size did you use on the Sony's and what size do you use on the UE?

Quote:

As for the fit, I don't know if that mod will do it, but I never had a problem with using it the regular way with Medium tips. I have regular sized ears and I always used Medium tips in IEMs (I had at least 4 to date).

did you use the classical setting as well with the Sony EX51's?
I use bass booster or R&B setting currently with my EX51's.. how do those 2 EQ's compare directly with the UE?

-Never even touch those 2 settings, forget it. You'll kill the treble, highs and mids. When you got the UEs I assume you were in for a more balanced sound, not straight up bass. If that was the case, I may just direct you to the Atrio M5s because that's what its known for (and I remember for and nothing else).

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by only500made /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you got the UEs I assume you were in for a more balanced sound, not straight up bass. If that was the case, I may just direct you to the Atrio M5s because that's what its known for (and I remember for and nothing else).

Well I don't want straight up bass, although I do really like my bass and I read on Cnet's review that the UE's have the capability of going deep and really shining out the bass if that's what you wanted it to do as well. If you say that Kanye West's Good Life shines on the UE super fi pro 5 (classical EQ I'm assuming) then I'm happy with that.

I want heavy bass but not overpowering either.. I want to hear the vocals...

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #15 of 36
oh and I don't want to buy an amp...

want to minimize bulkiness when on public trans, etc.

as for the bass.. what I meant by stronger or deeper was basically louder...

But Songs like "Hard to live in the city" by Albert Hammond Jr. start off with a nice bass solo (and are very simple songs) or whatever you call it, so I still want the bass to be a more present (not just there.. if you know what I mean.. bit more pushed than flatter earphones) so I can get into the beat more

Since you have the EX51's and the super fi pro 5.. I basically want a bit louder bass than the EX51 (just a bit more, I don't need to sound like I'm in a club) because I listen to mostly the genre or music that ultimate ears described on their site for the super fi pro 5, but I also want clearer mids and highs than the EX51.

All my research lead me to the super fi pro 5 or the EB.. but then I was obsessed with the fact that the pro 5's have dual armature (and I like the detachable cord).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back