[Need help] I bought some new items but I have questions about my setup...
Dec 13, 2012 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mimsy

New Head-Fier
Okay, I'm very green to all of this so I'm betting my questions will definitely reflect that... Anyway, here's a synopsis of what I have going:

I was looking to upgrade my headphones and eventually settled on the DT 990 pro 250ohms. I saw that I needed an amp to get better usage of the new headphones, but the trick is that I have a sound card (Xonar D1 from a few years ago) and wanted to make use of it. With that in mind, I bought a Fiio E11 and now my setup looks like Xonar D1 (front jack 3.5mm) > Fiio E11 > DT 990.

Now here are my questions:

1) Would I get higher quality audio if I used the optical spdif instead? Are there any differences between using the 3.5mm front jack vs using the optical spdif? I ask because the E11 can't receive optical and maybe I should return the E11 and purchase an E17 instead if optical is better (read last paragraph for more info).
2) I previously considered purchasing an E10 or an E09K as a solution since I'll only be using these headphones at my desktop but I didn't want to because I wanted to run things through the Xonar D1 (both E10 and E09K run through USB and would ignore the sound card). I'm wondering if either the E10 or E09K would simply be better than my current sound card, and if either product would be a better solution over all?

I'm especially curious about question (1) because for about one week I had access to a Tritton AX 720+ headset and it ran through the optical spdif of the Xonar D1. Using the 5.1 test file located on this page I heard the simulated 5.1 and when it got to the LFE section I heard the bass kick in and drop accordingly. When I did the same test with my older headphones (because the Tritton's broke...) I didn't hear any bass and assumed the old headphones didn't have bass or something. I tried the same test file today with the new DT 990 I purchased but didn't hear the LFE section again, which naturally means I heard the LFE section because the Trittons were connected through optical. This is why I want to know if my setup should include optical or not, or if the E10/E09K would be the same, better, etc etc.

Help would be much appreciated. I'm starting a vacation from work when this weekend is over so I hope I can experience all my PC related audio as best I can!

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 7
Okay, I'm very green to all of this so I'm betting my questions will definitely reflect that... Anyway, here's a synopsis of what I have going:

I was looking to upgrade my headphones and eventually settled on the DT 990 pro 250ohms. I saw that I needed an amp to get better usage of the new headphones, but the trick is that I have a sound card (Xonar D1 from a few years ago) and wanted to make use of it. With that in mind, I bought a Fiio E11 and now my setup looks like Xonar D1 (front jack 3.5mm) > Fiio E11 > DT 990.

Now here are my questions:

1) Would I get higher quality audio if I used the optical spdif instead? Are there any differences between using the 3.5mm front jack vs using the optical spdif? I ask because the E11 can't receive optical and maybe I should return the E11 and purchase an E17 instead if optical is better (read last paragraph for more info).
2) I previously considered purchasing an E10 or an E09K as a solution since I'll only be using these headphones at my desktop but I didn't want to because I wanted to run things through the Xonar D1 (both E10 and E09K run through USB and would ignore the sound card). I'm wondering if either the E10 or E09K would simply be better than my current sound card, and if either product would be a better solution over all?

I'm especially curious about question (1) because for about one week I had access to a Tritton AX 720+ headset and it ran through the optical spdif of the Xonar D1. Using the 5.1 test file located on this page I heard the simulated 5.1 and when it got to the LFE section I heard the bass kick in and drop accordingly. When I did the same test with my older headphones (because the Tritton's broke...) I didn't hear any bass and assumed the old headphones didn't have bass or something. I tried the same test file today with the new DT 990 I purchased but didn't hear the LFE section again, which naturally means I heard the LFE section because the Trittons were connected through optical. This is why I want to know if my setup should include optical or not, or if the E10/E09K would be the same, better, etc etc.

Help would be much appreciated. I'm starting a vacation from work when this weekend is over so I hope I can experience all my PC related audio as best I can!

Lets just say that I can say anything nice about either of those two products for desktops, so I won't say anything at all. For mobile use, the E11 is fine, but if you are at a computer......you need something better.

First return the E11 and get this http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=13 . You will notice that it uses RCA as inputs. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021817&p_id=9768&seq=1&format=2 Use a simple cable adapter like this one.

Then save up some money and get this http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=14 sometime down the road. Having that combo will help immensely, but even starting off with just the normal amp will sound better than the E11.

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 7
Mmhmmmmmm

So, not gonna lie - that wasn't *quite* the information I was looking for. Thank you for the product suggestion but I think I would be better off in the long run if I was educated on how to fish rather than being handed a fish, so to speak. I think I can phrase the questions differently so that I may get the more direct answers I'm looking for, and thus be able to make a better decision on which product best suits my needs/wants.

1) What are the primary differences (if any) between an optical line vs a front 3.5mm line? Where does RCA stand in comparison? Which one is more beneficial (if not all the same) and for what significant reason?
2) Would a DAC be superior to my sound card's capabilities, or would it be complimentary? In other words, should I remove the sound card out of the equation and have PC > DAC > AMP > Headphones or should the setup look like PC > Xonar D1 > DAC > AMP > Headphones?

I'm not looking for a long write up explaining the nuances of each option, just succinct and informative responses. Again, especially for the first question.

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 7
The optical out is to transmit DIGITAL information that has not been converted to ANALOG sound signal yet. Your music is a digital file until it gets converted to sound with a Digital Analog Converter (DAC). You would use the optical if you were going straight into an external unit with a DAC. The E11 does not have a DAC. It is strictly an amp.

Your video card has a DAC section on it. It sends and ANALOG signal to the E11.

To make this simple and easy. Order the Fiio E10 amp from Adorama (it was 45 bucks there last I looked). Keep your E11 for portable use with an ipod or other device if you wish.

The E10 actually plugs straight into your USB and gets the digital signal through the usb instead of an optical cable. It has a very decent DAC built in. It is a DAC/amp combo and all you really need in one little box.

That unit will handle your 990's very well. So you will be keeping it simple PC>E10>Headphones.

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 7
Now that was an excellent answer.

The E10 was my first choice but since I didn't quite understand how digital/analog conversion worked (or what it was exactly) I aimed for a setup that would route things through the sound card... sort of as a fail safe. Now that I have a much better grasp on how things work I can recognize the sound card is no longer needed and that the flashy optical port isn't any better than USB since they both merely transmit digital signals and get converted to analog (provided there is a device to so). This tells me that the quality of the DAC is the most important factor, correct?

Anyway I'll be returning the E11 and using the funds to buy an E10 instead. Thank you very much!

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 7
Glad it helped.

The DAC can be an important factor particular when using a PC for a variety of reasons. Some sound cards actually have decent dacs and amps built into them.

The E10 is just a fantastic little all in one solution and it performs great.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
2) Would a DAC be superior to my sound card's capabilities, or would it be complimentary? In other words, should I remove the sound card out of the equation and have PC > DAC > AMP > Headphones or should the setup look like PC > Xonar D1 > DAC > AMP > Headphones?

Your sound card actually has a quite good DAC, despite its low cost (it can be cheaper than similarly performing external DACs because it is made in China in much larger quantities, and, being internal, it does not have a case either). You only really need to upgrade it if you get noisy audio because of interference, ground loops, or power supply issues. While many people have rather snobbish views regarding sound cards, it actually has a better DAC than the E10, and, although I have limited information about the Schiit DAC recommended above, its specifications by the manufacturer do not suggest an improvement over the Xonar either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back