Need help... I am getting a new MD portable
Dec 11, 2004 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Silver

500+ Head-Fier
My beloved MZ-R900 finally R.I.P... therefore I am looking for a new portable. It's not a must for a recorder since I can always ask a classmate of mine to do the recording for me. And no Hi-MD, it's far out of my budget. I have some questions.

1) Is the newest line of Sony MD portable any good? (not the Hi-MD series)
2) I also saw ST880 for HKD768(~USD100). How's the sound quality of it? Is it superior to Sony E10... or at least my R900? I just heard about ppl talking postive things about it long time ago.

Due to the increasing popularity of MP3 players in HK, especially those resemble a oversized lipstick(i dunno better things to describe the outlook of them), most of the shops just carry few MD recorders/players only.What's even worse is that nobody is selling Sharp 1bit amp MD series in Hong Kong anymore. It's really absolutely a tragedy to me. If not so, I would simply go for a DR7 to replace my R900.
frown.gif

Dec 12, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 7
The problem with the newest line of Sony MD (not HiMD) units (at least here in the US) is that they're being relegated to the very low end of the MD market these days - they cannot record from any other source besides a Windows-based PC.

Dec 13, 2004 at 1:43 AM Post #7 of 7
I have had a Sony E720 for about a year. When compaired to my old E900, the sound is much better, esp with the new HD Digital Amp. The sound is much cleaner than the E900. When compaired to the Auvi Sharp players, the sound is much more detailed, and a little bright. The Auvi players sound much warmer, in my opinion. I am very happy with my E720, esp when paired with my AT CM7 earbuds. I am not sure if the E720 is available anymore, but the E730, which is the model that replaced it, comes with the same amp, and also includes Type S decoding. I feel that the Sony E720/E730 is probably one of the best MD players avaliable right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back