Need Help: Headfive or Original Master?
Aug 26, 2006 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

eladioc

Head-Fier
Help please... headfive vs. original master... what do you guys think? I have a good deal for the OM lined up... about 25% cheaper than the H5. My source will be a revolution 7.1 and my 'phones are in my sig. I'm thinking about getting a pair of DT990's too. This will be my first home headphone amp and I think they're both good choices, but I need some input. I listen mostly to trance/ambient but I also like some soft rock. Thanks!

Aug 26, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by eladioc
Help please... headfive vs. original master... what do you guys think? I have a good deal for the OM lined up... about 25% cheaper than the H5. My source will be a revolution 7.1 and my 'phones are in my sig. I'm thinking about getting a pair of DT990's too. This will be my first home headphone amp and I think they're both good choices, but I need some input. I listen mostly to trance/ambient but I also like some soft rock. Thanks!

Soundstage did a review on the OM & compared them to the Xcan3 which cost twice as much as the OM.. The reviewer also marveled at the included power supply for the OM, due to its low cost.. Do a OM search & you will see VICS thread on the OM.. he says it's better then any portable under 500.00, & tried them with various cans..Very lengthy & insightful..

Aug 26, 2006 at 12:30 PM Post #4 of 21
I actually have both, but at the moment am lacking a transport, so all my gear is sitting here unused...
frown.gif

I'll let you know within a week or two week, as soon as my hagUSB gets here and I hook it up...

Aug 26, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 21
I own the Original Master and use it in my office rig as follows:
FLAC>iRiver H140>Lavry DA10>OM>W5000

I have also tried the Headfive.

I believe those are the two great bargain in the <$500 market at the moment.

- The Original Master has a very neutral sound signature: it actually maintains the signature of your source. The bass is very strong, but also very tight and very much in control (I think due to its generous separate power supply); it never struggle for power: no distortion at all, even in fast and complex passages; sound is surprisingly crisp and detailed, no grain at all.
I believe it has been voiced for the HD650 and it pairs particoularly well with it, but I use it with good results also with the W5000 (low impedance).
As I said, of all the amps below $500 that I have tried, none gave me the wish to upgrade (I am not necessarily saying it is the best <500, but no other is noticeably superior).
I would definetely recommend it if you like the sound of your source. On the flip side, do not expect an exceptional build quality, but for the price can't have everything.

- The Headfive impose its own sound signature to the source: It has nice round, silky sound which remind me a bit the lushness of the classic tube amps. It would be the best choice if you don't really like the sound of your source, although I must say that with the Lavry as a source I prefer the detail, crispness and tight bass of the OM.

As usual, if you can give them a try before buying, but you certainly are on a good track

Hope this helps.
Vic

PS: The US importer of the OM is:
http://www.aaa-audio.com/index-library.htm

Aug 26, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 21
I appreciate that great reply Vic. I'm leaning more toward the OM, but I have one concern: I plan on using the digital out on my Revo (single RCA). Could I get a 1 RCA --> L/R RCA to plug into the OM? Would a subwoofer cable work? I could get one of those cheap at Radio Shack.

If that plan doesn't work, then I suppose I would have to get a DAC... yes?

Aug 26, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

I appreciate that great reply Vic. I'm leaning more toward the OM, but I have one concern: I plan on using the digital out on my Revo (single RCA). Could I get a 1 RCA --> L/R RCA to plug into the OM? Would a subwoofer cable work? I could get one of those cheap at Radio Shack.

If that plan doesn't work, then I suppose I would have to get a DAC... yes?

That digital out is coaxial, and you'll need a DAC to convert it to something the amp can use

Aug 29, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 21
Ordered the Original Master today! I left Ping in limbo for a couple days, but he held on to the one I wanted; he's a stand-up guy in my book. Good and fast communication with him too.

I'm getting a DAC-AH too; I can't wait!

Now... cables... I don't really want to spend $50 on BJC for the digital coax and the IC's... would RadioShack cables do the trick? Or maybe AR cables from Amazon?

Aug 29, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Ordered the Original Master today! I left Ping in limbo for a couple days, but he held on to the one I wanted;

what do you mean by the "one (you) wanted"? was there something specific about the one you ordered that made it unique?

Aug 31, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #10 of 21
It was an open box return that he offered to me at a good price.

He is wondering if anyone would be interested in a group buy at $190/unit shipped. Anyone interested?

Aug 31, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

He is wondering if anyone would be interested in a group buy at $190/unit shipped. Anyone interested?

That's pretty darn cheap. I'd imagine starting a new thread in the Group Buy forum would definitely get some responses. I think you have to get approval from a mod first though...

Aug 31, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

It was an open box return that he offered to me at a good price.

ah, ok. heh, i thought maybe these were somehow customizable.

i've been trying to post something in the group buy forum as well, but maybe b/c i didn't get "permission" from a moderator, i couldn't. i did send a pm to a moderator though to see if i can.

i got Ping to $180/shipped if we can get 10 people. in any case, i'm going to get one.

--
btw, he did tell me that he's out of the US power supplies; he has ordered them and they'll be here in a few weeks.

Sep 5, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #13 of 21
I got my OM hooked up to a LiTe DAC-AH now and it sounds great. I only have a pa2v2 to compare to, but the improvement is significant to me. If you're thinking about this combo, know that their footprints are almost exactly the same. The OM is a little longer, but their widths are fractionally different. The set up looks pretty good.

Thanks for following up on the group buy thing! Ping is a good guy. The amp is a nice little amp too! $180 shipped is a fantastic price.

Sep 5, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

I got my OM hooked up to a LiTe DAC-AH now and it sounds great. I only have a pa2v2 to compare to, but the improvement is significant to me. If you're thinking about this combo, know that their footprints are almost exactly the same. The OM is a little longer, but their widths are fractionally different. The set up looks pretty good.

Thanks for following up on the group buy thing! Ping is a good guy. The amp is a nice little amp too! $180 shipped is a fantastic price.

Sounds like you have an awesome bang for the buck setup!

Sep 5, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

just an update; i asked Josh, admin here, about a group buy and he said that it was not appropriate. so no group buy.

however, Ping said he would just give any headfi member a $190 shipped price... which is what i am getting. my other option was to send my bro-in-law to HK and pick one up for me, but for $50 or so possible savings, i said nah...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back