Need help - HD 599s
Nov 26, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #16 of 24
Bad as in the sounds are odd. for example when i watch a video sometimes talking is louder in 1 ear. It's just bad, not sure how to describe it. The only way to fix it would be to go into windows sound and enable the 7.1.
So enabling the 7.1 on the motherboard chip makes it better? I'd say that either means that you're so used to 7.1 that stereo sounds bad to you, or your motherboard chip is bad enough to have noticeable channel imbalance and the only way to fix it is to mask the issue with digital surround, which I think is what's happening. What happens when you listen to music from the motherboard chip VS your 7.1 unit?

Nov 26, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #17 of 24
So enabling the 7.1 on the motherboard chip makes it better? I'd say that either means that you're so used to 7.1 that stereo sounds bad to you, or your motherboard chip is bad enough to have noticeable channel imbalance and the only way to fix it is to mask the issue with digital surround, which I think is what's happening. What happens when you listen to music from the motherboard chip VS your 7.1 unit?

Even with my headset which has the 7.1 dolby adapter. If I switch it off everything sounds horrible. Hmmm.

Nov 26, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #18 of 24

Btw this is my motherbroard - https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-M5#down-driver&Win10 64
Do you think I didn't download a driver for it or something hence why I get bad sound? so confused right now.

Nov 26, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #19 of 24
Btw this is my motherbroard - https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-M5#down-driver&Win10 64
Do you think I didn't download a driver for it or something hence why I get bad sound? so confused right now.
Not sure, just the fact that you have channel imbalance means either 1) your headphone is defective and you only hear it when you use stereo because 7.1 masks the issue or 2) your motherboard dac/amp is the one with the issue and again, 7.1 simply masks it.

I'd say, if you want to hunt down the issue, play the same movie on your 7.1 thing but do it in 2 channel stereo mode (if your module has that). If your 7.1 module doesn't do stereo, then just get the GSX anyway and it'll be a massive upgrade regardless

Nov 26, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #20 of 24
Is it possible that you're used to 7.1 and stereo just sounds bad to you?

Nov 26, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #21 of 24
Not sure, just the fact that you have channel imbalance means either 1) your headphone is defective and you only hear it when you use stereo because 7.1 masks the issue or 2) your motherboard dac/amp is the one with the issue and again, 7.1 simply masks it.

I'd say, if you want to hunt down the issue, play the same movie on your 7.1 thing but do it in 2 channel stereo mode (if your module has that). If your 7.1 module doesn't do stereo, then just get the GSX anyway and it'll be a massive upgrade regardless

should i bbe plugging the headphones into a specific jack?

and yeah i don't know how to do the 2 channel stereo mode thing with my adapter.

Nov 26, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #22 of 24
should i bbe plugging the headphones into a specific jack?

and yeah i don't know how to do the 2 channel stereo mode thing with my adapter.
Pretty sure any audio jack will work, headphone out is preferable to line out

Jan 4, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #23 of 24
Dude, seriously... I stumbled upon this thread which is fairly old but I must reply because I was in the same situation as you a long time ago when I was into gamer crap.

Your current 7.1 headset is utter s*** and you should do yourself a favour and getting rid of it. "Surround" headsets are absolute crap and a complete gimmick, they're terribly overpriced, sound like garbage and nobody in his right mind should be using them and falling for the marketing. You got so used to them that you can't tell what sounds good anymore if you don't have a bunch of awful sound altering mods going on.

Many years ago, I became really used to utter garbage Creative """gamer""" headsets that when I bought my first pair of decent headphones I thought they were horrible and the Creative were the best in the world. It took me a month of using the new headphones to adjust my brain to proper sound quality and proper ergonomics before I realized the Creative were complete irredeemable overpriced trash. Everything branded as "gamer" is trash 99% of the time.

You got so used to your horrendous software sound gimmicks that proper sound quality sounds weird to you. Please do yourself a favor and turn off all that crap, turn off all surround effects, all EQ, everything, plug your headphones directly into the motherboard (your mobo does have a good integrated sound chip so you don't need a DAC at all, by the way the 599 doesn't need an amp), and listen to the music for a few days, you won't be able to go back to whatever garbage sound mods you were listening before, trust me. It may take you some time to adjust and "detox" from the awful mods you were using but once you experience proper sound quality you will never go back to using those mods and gamer garbage.

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #24 of 24
Dude, seriously... I stumbled upon this thread which is fairly old but I must reply because I was in the same situation as you a long time ago when I was into gamer crap.

Your current 7.1 headset is utter s*** and you should do yourself a favour and getting rid of it. "Surround" headsets are absolute crap and a complete gimmick, they're terribly overpriced, sound like garbage and nobody in his right mind should be using them and falling for the marketing. You got so used to them that you can't tell what sounds good anymore if you don't have a bunch of awful sound altering mods going on.

Many years ago, I became really used to utter garbage Creative """gamer""" headsets that when I bought my first pair of decent headphones I thought they were horrible and the Creative were the best in the world. It took me a month of using the new headphones to adjust my brain to proper sound quality and proper ergonomics before I realized the Creative were complete irredeemable overpriced trash. Everything branded as "gamer" is trash 99% of the time.

You got so used to your horrendous software sound gimmicks that proper sound quality sounds weird to you. Please do yourself a favor and turn off all that crap, turn off all surround effects, all EQ, everything, plug your headphones directly into the motherboard (your mobo does have a good integrated sound chip so you don't need a DAC at all, by the way the 599 doesn't need an amp), and listen to the music for a few days, you won't be able to go back to whatever garbage sound mods you were listening before, trust me. It may take you some time to adjust and "detox" from the awful mods you were using but once you experience proper sound quality you will never go back to using those mods and gamer garbage.
Lol nailed it right there with that whole statement.

I had been through so many gaming headsets and every time I asked for recommendations on a better gaming headset I always saw the same comment "don't buy gaming headsets, buy audiophile headphones and a mic". I always just shrugged it off because I liked the convenience of a headset especially a wireless one. So one day I ask for gaming headset advice to buy a new one because my 2nd pair of Logitech G933s broke and I was flooded with those same audiophile headphone comments again and it just annoyed me and I said to myself "these damn pretentious audiophile snobs just don't understand, we want the convenience of a headset with VSS and wireless capability".

Now I'm rocking AKG K712s for gaming and looking back, I was an utter moron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back