NEED HELP ! Grado SR-125 or SR-225 (for classical music) ? And what about SR-325i ?
Dec 11, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #16 of 23
I find Grados too coloured across the whole frequency spectrum (and they tend to be shrill in the highs). Directly comparing my MS-2 to the K601, the AKG is audibly far more faithful to the source and there is a sense of realism to the sound (something I can never get with Grados & Senns). Strings sound so unrealistically more real too (pun intended).

Dec 11, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find Grados too coloured across the whole frequency spectrum (and they tend to be shrill in the highs). Directly comparing my MS-2 to the K601, the AKG is audibly far more faithful to the source and there is a sense of realism to the sound (something I can never get with Grados & Senns). Strings sound so unrealistically more real too (pun intended).

Well, that's the end of that road. We've come to the point where personal preference is the factor in play. I think that strings on the Grados are tops. I heard the K701s briefly, and I was very impressed with the balance and soundstage. They're miles ahead of any of the Senns I've heard. I still don't think they touch the Grado sound for guitar, banjo, mandolin, violin/fiddle, cello, ect.

Dec 11, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #19 of 23
i think grados sound great with classical music, especially with smaller ensembles. some may not like them for classical, and that's fine, you should consider that input. however, the grado=rock and senn=classical 'rules' some people might be tempted to parrot based on what they think the consensus is is way too arbitrary IMO. grado's are extremely capable with stringed instruments, and this certainly includes cellos etc. if you've listened to the grados and are truly that attracted to them, go ahead and get a pair.

with regards to the 325i vs 225, i listened to both and chose the 325i. i found the 325i to be slightly more capable at both ends (high and low frequencies), but the difference is pretty small. in some recordings I find the 325i's to be too bright, but this really isn't an issue in classical recordings for me. mostly loud rock with high-pitched distortion, guitars, cymbal crashes. but i think the 225 would probably have the same problem in that regard too. while the 325i's might be a little brighter, irritatingly bright is just the grado sound at higher volume.

i will say for classical i personally am preferring the hd-650's

Dec 11, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

P.S. I dont care THAT much about soundstage (this is why I think of using Grados with classical music) since I mainly listen to solo instrumental music. IMO, soundstage is more important for orchestral music...

In that case Grado is really good option, though their Alessandro variant would be bit better choice. Less coloration, but still bright enough.

Otherwise, probaply best all-around classical can ever made are either AKG K701 or Beyerdynamic DT880. Or Sennheiser HD600 if one prefers warmer and darker sound. (opposite of Grado sound) All those require good amplifier though.

Dec 11, 2006 at 11:50 AM Post #21 of 23
all these opinions.. will they never stop!?! ..
i listened to nutcracker last night with 325i. very beautiful. wait... checking again... still very nice. checking shrillness.. beethovens 9s 1st movement now.. goes shrill when volume is way above normal. not a concert hall feeling. every instrument is right next to you - that can be a red light. try more phones yes.

oh and for solo piano grado is definitely excellent. would even say .. oh excellent is enough said.
if 325i, buy used. a bit risky though. and gets more expensive if you happen to like them. very source-picky and make you want an amp so bad.

Dec 11, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

all these opinions.. will they never stop!?! ..

"Opinions are like buttholes. Everybody has one." said some unknown genius.
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For anything that has strings, Grado is king, IMHO. I listen to a lot of instrumental bluegrass and I think the Grados (I had the SR-225s) are ideal.

I listened to a violin sonata (violin + piano) on the SR-225, and the violin was quite badly reproduced by the Grados, the worst I've heard around that price point. It is due to a strong coloration in the 225s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not a person that listens to classical very often. The only classical I listen to on a regular basis is Béla Fleck's classical offerings which are simple banjo + cello + maybe one other instrument.

With all due respect, this is one of the risks with asking for recommendations for classical headphones. I've noticed that many people who chime in don't really listen to classical themselves. Not to say that their opinions are any less valid than anyone else's, but one does have to be aware of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back