need help: going from DT990 Pro's to.... what?
Apr 2, 2006 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Been spending alot of time at the gym lately with an MD player and some HD25-SP's and have really enjoyed the combo for gym use-- blocks out all the annoying music and chatter of the gym, focuses on all the right frequencies for rocking out, and doesn't sound too thin/bright (thanks to the EQ on the md player).

Problem is, I've been listening to tunes this weekend on my "walk around the house" rig, which consists of a D-EJ711 pcdp, Go-Vibe and DT990 Pro's. I have an OPA2132 in the Go-Vibe, as it was the warmest/best match for the rest of the setup. But for some reason, things are just sounding too bright/thin in the treble area. I know that the 990's have a bump in this area, but it's never really bothered me up until now. My KSC-75's have been doing some nice stand-in for use around the house.

What should I be looking at as far as something that eliminates this thinness/brightness? Thinking of something in the $150 range, preferably something closed for bedtime listening since Dream Theater was bothering the fiancee the other night due to the open headphone design of the 990's, and something a little more full in the mids.

I'm thinking of the DT250-80's. Non-fatiguing, good mids, just enough bass. The DT250-250's may be too bright.

Any other cans I should be considering? Tried the K240S & DT770-80 already and don't want to re-buy cans I've already had, if I can help it (but it seems to happen all the darned time
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Apr 2, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 6
lazy sunday morning bump...

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 6
Apr 2, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 6
How you checked out the a900's? They are great, they have slightle ressessed mids but not bad though. The only problem I see is that of you wanted to lie your head on a pillow with them on, its impossible because they are HUGE! Just slightly over your budget, you can get them used for $160 - $170ish.

Apr 2, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 6
K271 wouldn't be warm enough for me... the HD280 I've tried before, and while I like it, I don't think I'd like it enough to hold onto it long term. There's a plastickiness to their sound to them that gets to me after a while, plus the headband is known to have issues cracking.

The A900 is known to be sort of mids-recessed, which wouldn't be any better for me than the DT990. Plus I would want to lay down w/ them on, so that knocks them out of the running.

Haven't looked at the K81's yet-- they're sort of a HD25-ish kinda can, aren't they?

Apr 2, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 6
Maybe HD650?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back