Need help getting my first cans!!
Mar 11, 2015 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Sabsjl

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! So I've finally decided to get my first full sized headphones. Would like some recommendations to help me decide.

I listen to almost every genre of music except , but mainly rock, country/folk and some pop. I wouldn't want something that has overly emphasized bass, just a nice amount would be good.
The thing with headphones for me, is that I have a pretty small head. So it's hard to find a nice pair of full sized, over ear headphones that do not look large on my head and sticks out too wide. If you could recommend compact / sleek looking headphones that do not jut out that much and still sounds great, that'll be awesome!

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #2 of 9
What is your budget?

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound and don't isolate well)?

What equipment will be feeding and powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds will you be putting into these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

If you don't buy in the U.S.--where do you plan to buy?

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 9
My budget would be around $400, and would prefer closed cans. I'm currently using the fiio x3 and do not have an amp (althought I would consider buying one to suit the right headphones).
I do plan on using them outside my home (mostly in sitting places / traveling) but not on the move, and would still use my x3.
Mostly playing flac and mp3 formats, depending on situations. And I do plan on buying them from amazon and ship them, if I am unable to find the models from where I am.
Hope this is enough info.

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 9
OK--what do mean by "a nice amount of bass"?  Our baseline is a neutral headphone, where nothing is emphasized or recessed; one that will deliver a track exactly as it was laid down.

Also give an example or two of a full sized over ear can that meets your sizing requirements.

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 9
  OK--what do mean by "a nice amount of bass"?  Our baseline is a neutral headphone, where nothing is emphasized or recessed; one that will deliver a track exactly as it was laid down.

Also give an example or two of a full sized over ear can that meets your sizing requirements.

I would be fine with a neutral bass or one with a little bump is okay too. Just nothing that is too emphasized that would muddle up the mids. I like to hear all the little details of the music, with a decent soundstage.

Size wise, I've tried the V- Moda's M100s and I like how sleek they are and how they wrap around my head nicely.

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 9
  I would be fine with a neutral bass or one with a little bump is okay too. Just nothing that is too emphasized that would muddle up the mids. I like to hear all the little details of the music, with a decent soundstage.

Size wise, I've tried the V- Moda's M100s and I like how sleek they are and how they wrap around my head nicely.

Have you considered the Philips Fidelio L1?

I know it is an open can design, but it doesn't really act like other open cans. I think it's a fantastic buy at the current price. ($117 on Amazon)

The L1 is what brought my attention to Philips in general and conveyed me to try the X2's which are on order.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 9

I've considered the Focals and the NADs before, but found the NADs headband too squarish when worn. And the Focal's bending area above the cups juts out quite a bit, which doesn't really sit well with me. Thanks for the rec though, I'll go check out the other two.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #9 of 9
  Have you considered the Philips Fidelio L1?

I know it is an open can design, but it doesn't really act like other open cans. I think it's a fantastic buy at the current price. ($117 on Amazon)

The L1 is what brought my attention to Philips in general and conveyed me to try the X2's which are on order.

I'll consider them when I'm going to get open cans. But as of right now, I'm looking for more of a closed headphone. Thanks though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back