Need help getting a portable player
Feb 9, 2012 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

AlfredWong

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys,

Would need your help on recommending a nice portable player. Would like to have:

1. Lossless support
2. External storage (other than internal)
3. Good bass
4. Sensible GUI, Album art is optional
5. Easy USB connection is preferrable
6. Nice battery life.

I want a player which can also easily transfer file between computers (yea no Apple is not an option).

Of which, either the Sony Walkman or Cowon would and would not fit in some of the options above.

I will have an amp with me, and I am using Beyer DT1350. Please tell me your thoughs, thanks!

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #2 of 9
I recommend a Samsung Galaxy S player WiFi 4.0 with Voodoo Control Plus or a Sansa Clip+ or Fuze Rockboxed. However, the battery life on the Galaxy S player WiFi 4.0 is poor.

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
I recommend a Samsung Galaxy S player WiFi 4.0 with Voodoo Control Plus or a Sansa Clip+ or Fuze Rockboxed. However, the battery life on the Galaxy S player WiFi 4.0 is poor.

Already using Galaxy SL (which sucks, VooDoo doesn't support it!), and I did thought about getting a S but that's silly.

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Hello guys,

Would need your help on recommending a nice portable player. Would like to have:

1. Lossless support
2. External storage (other than internal)
3. Good bass
4. Sensible GUI, Album art is optional
5. Easy USB connection is preferrable
6. Nice battery life.

I want a player which can also easily transfer file between computers (yea no Apple is not an option).

Of which, either the Sony Walkman or Cowon would and would not fit in some of the options above.

I will have an amp with me, and I am using Beyer DT1350. Please tell me your thoughs, thanks!

Sony NW-Z1000 series, simply breathtaking, stunningly wide soundstage & sound quality.... you can now close the thread

join the happy people... all welcome

http://www.head-fi.org/t/584479/new-sony-walkman-z-series-mini-review

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 9
I think you should try a cheap option first, with the sansa fuze, you can get a LOD, which is ideal since you will carry an amp, more expensive players (assuming you are still using your amp) will give little advantage (SQ wise). True lineout will negate the sony house sound (which means your paying quiet a bit for something you will not use)

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 9
The Sandisk Clip+ is nice and cheap, but has only around 12 hours of battery life. To get around that, you could use a small external battery pack. It doesn't make sense to me to pay 6x as much to get a Cowon just to get longer battery life.

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
The Sandisk Clip+ is nice and cheap, but has only around 12 hours of battery life. To get around that, you could use a small external battery pack. It doesn't make sense to me to pay 6x as much to get a Cowon just to get longer battery life.

+1 on The Sansa Clip+ Although the battery life is short compared to others so is the charge time. Only taking around 45min to charge Plus rockboxing helps battery time a lot.

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
True line-out will negate the Sony house sound (which means your paying quiet a bit for something you will not use)

Not entirely true, you will get a more analogue sound using a LOD but you will still have the players sound signature..... it's the same in a normal hi-fi set-up it is the sources signature that will trump any amplification i.e with regard to say a CD-Player, a Pioneer will not sound as engaging as my Roksan-M2 but by the same token, my Roksan would be trounced by a Chord Red-Reference, you gets what you pay for.

The Sony-Z is expensive, I'm about to sell my 32gb and buy the 64gb..... I can honestly say the SQ of this player is sublime, the sound-stage is immense and is crystal clear (no hiss or artifacts) & the brilliant amp will drive most headphones.

Sorry if I've offended anyone but I'm blown away with the quality of my Sony-Z..... many head-fiers with more expensive daps are turning to the WM-Z as a primary source because it is THAT good (I'm talking hi-fiman & colorfly here,see the WM-Z thread)..... you have to make a choice of what you want from a player as cheap option routes can end up being more expensive as you will probably end up trying several DAP's before you get the sound you prefer (it's your ears you have to satisfy not mine or others), for me SQ trumps any other consideration, I don't give two-monkeys for the andriod stuff or the like as none of it interest me, in conclusion take into account how often you use your player (if you use one real often go for the best you can afford), what SQ do you want to achieve then your budget you have to spend..... good luck in whatever route you decide on.

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #9 of 9
And didn't expect this thread would resurface. Actually dad dug up an Olympus DM-550, quite amazing as a portable player, got everything right except I would need an amp for my HD-650 to listen in bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back