Need help getting a pair of portable on ear headphones for under $100 for work, but the cheaper the better.
Feb 4, 2015 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

lettuceman44

New Head-Fier
So I need some headphones for when I'm at work. I listen to a lot of podcasts and music while working, and also use the headphones for online meetings and such. I listen to a lot of music, but lately I've been listening to a lot of classic rock and 70s-80s punk.

I've been using a pair of cheap earbuds until I got some headphones, but they already broke in my pocket, so I decided to get a pair of on ear headphones just for work(I'll leave it there).

So, I say my budget is under $100, but I'd rather be closer to $50 then to $100. I've been doing a bunch of research, but a lot of threads I'm finding are older so I don't know how relevant the information is.

For example, I see the JVC S500 recommended a lot, but all the threads are from around 2013. For the price, it seems awesome though?

edit: The Sennheiser Momentums look really good though for $100. I would still consider a headset at that price if it is considered worth it.

Thanks.

Feb 4, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 14
You could probably find the Onkyo FC300 used under $100 very easily. Detachable cables and excellent sound quality. They're great at $150 and even better at sub $100. My favorite on ears. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 14
So back to the JVC S500, is it still a solid budget buy for today?

Honestly, thinking about it I don't want to spend too much money on headphones I'd primarily be using just at work.

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 14
I changed my mind again. I'm just gonna go in. Thinking of the Onkyo. Hell, will be willing to go up to $200.

In that case these are being close out at $150--the 37 Ohm Yamaha HPH-MT220:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B44N0DA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Depending on what you're connecting them to, they may need a modest amp.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 14

In that case these are being close out at $150--the 37 Ohm Yamaha HPH-MT220:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B44N0DA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Depending on what you're connecting them to, they may need a modest amp.

Hmm, I was looking for something a bit smaller than that.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 14
Hmm, I've never paid attention to Yamaha headphones before. How good are they? A quick google search gives me minimal info.

Also how big are they?

As for what will be driving it, well my HTC One m7 phone, or the dell computer I use at work with an integrated sound card(so not much). So, I pretty much have little to go with.

edit: Also just learned about the m50x. How is the Yamaha compared to it?

Feb 5, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 14
Are you looking for open or closed cans (open leak some amount of sound into the surrounding environment)? I assume you need closed, as you will be at work, but I try not to make assumptions, so, open, or closed? What genres of music do you listen to? What is the sonic signature you are seeking? Bass-emphasized? Neutral? Mids- or treble-emphasized?

The m50 is a good possible option for you, but we need to know more before we can make good recommendations.

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #12 of 14
MT220 is sonically superior in almost every way to the M50X and it's the best headphone for classic rock that I've heard. More comfortable than M50X but it's a pretty big headphone. It sounded great off my laptop so I don't think you would have any problem just plugging it in to your computer not sure about the phone but it's only 37 ohms. 

I really wouldn't discount the JVC S500 if you want an on ear. I will never get rid of mine because they have such a uniquely perfect sound signature. Almost everything sounds good on these.

Out of all the hyped headphones I've tried the MT220 and S500 are a few where the hype was legit.

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #13 of 14
  Are you looking for open or closed cans (open leak some amount of sound into the surrounding environment)? I assume you need closed, as you will be at work, but I try not to make assumptions, so, open, or closed? What genres of music do you listen to? What is the sonic signature you are seeking? Bass-emphasized? Neutral? Mids- or treble-emphasized?

The m50 is a good possible option for you, but we need to know more before we can make good recommendations.

Ah, I thought I mentioned this but I guess not. Closed for sure.

For music, I posted classic rock and 70-80s rock currently, and then for other genres, lots of alternative rock, dubstep at times. Sometimes I'll listen to some folk metal. Euro house and EDM. Honestly, it can be all over the place.

I do like bass-emphasized, but......that isn't really important. I also haven't listened to enough headphones to have a preference. The only other set of cans I have is the Audio Technicas ATH AD700s

Also I ordered the Yamahas off Amazon because there was only one left until mid February :p
But I can still change my mind, so its no big deal. Returns are easy.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #14 of 14
These are in no particular order. For closed, I would probably recommend the m50, which is in your general price range and well-considered on this site by many sage counsels far wiser than me. Some others to consider are Takstar Pro 80 (about $60), Sennheiser 449 (about $74.95-$138.00 on amazon), and Superlux hd661 (bright-tilted, imaging champs, powerful bass), $60 (can be difficult to find). And last but still leading the pack--soundmagic hp150. Read about it and weep. Better yet, listen and weep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back