Need help from pro's! AKG K518 two sided to one sided recable job.
Jul 12, 2014 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tordfuglstad

New Head-Fier
Allright, so after a lot of thinking I've decided to try to make my AKG K518's into a one sided cable headphone.
I want to do a recable and by having it on one side I don't have to solder that critical Y-joint.

So I have no experience what so ever when it comes to making headphone cables and have no soldering-experience.
I have only made speaker-cables and some powercables in the walls before.

So here is my question: I have got kind of an idea what cables goes where on the headphones themselves, but have no clue about the jack. So where do i put the cables on the jack. Would love to see a picture.

I also wonder if my list of things i need is complete as well?
This is what I've come up with so far:
Mogami W2893 cable approx. 120cm
Switchcraft 35HDBAU with .290" cable max. 
3/16" Nylon multifilament for sleeving.
2mm heatshrink polyolefin (hear this is the best most flexible kind?)
6mm heatshrink polyolefin
Soldering lead
I already have soldering iron, heat gun and dremel (for making holes)
For the cable going for the one side to the other I'm thinking of just splitting the original cable and use that. (Not good enough perhaps?)

I made this image to kind of show what I'm thinking when it comes to the wiring. Would be super happy if anyone could help me out here!! 
beyersmile.png

Jul 12, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 5
Another thing I'm thinking about is maybe running two off the inner cables from the 2893-cable all the way over to the other side just putting some heatshrink on them? That way the quality of the cable should be the same all the way and there will be 2 less solder points. Is polyoelfin good for this use?

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 5
Practice soldering wires together and know how to spot and do a good soldering job.
Make sure you cut the wires to the drivers about an inch from where they make contact and use that inch of wire off the driver to solder to--for a newbie, it's easier doing this as you can burn the contact point on the driver if you're not careful.
With the plug... connect both grounds, but hell if I can be bothered to remember which is right or left. I just hope for the best and swap connections if I have to after my tests. There's guides around here you can look up.
Don't use heatshink on the crossing cable--it'll be too stiff. Get some 275 Paracord. 550 paracord for sleeving for the terminating cable.
Think about getting a headband so you can slip the crossing cable in. 

Also, think of doing a detachable cable.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/559367/akg-k518-k81-detachable-cable-mod-single-entry-guide-lots-of-pictures

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 5
Practice soldering wires together and know how to spot and do a good soldering job.
Make sure you cut the wires to the drivers about an inch from where they make contact and use that inch of wire off the driver to solder to--for a newbie, it's easier doing this as you can burn the contact point on the driver if you're not careful.
With the plug... connect both grounds, but hell if I can be bothered to remember which is right or left. I just hope for the best and swap connections if I have to after my tests. There's guides around here you can look up.
Don't use heatshink on the crossing cable--it'll be too stiff. Get some 275 Paracord. 550 paracord for sleeving for the terminating cable.
Think about getting a headband so you can slip the crossing cable in. 

Also, think of doing a detachable cable.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/559367/akg-k518-k81-detachable-cable-mod-single-entry-guide-lots-of-pictures

Thank you very much! Will do that.
What headband pad are suitable for the K518?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back